Citroen C5 X7 Hydractive 3+ clicking sound?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Borko Pacavra
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Oct 2026, 15:03
x 1

Citroen C5 X7 Hydractive 3+ clicking sound?

Unread post by Borko Pacavra »

Hi everybody
Maybe something similar have been posted but I didn't find it.. sorry if it was you can point me there.
Anyway, my citroen c5 x7 from 2011 has hydractive 3+ suspension. It started making this dull metalic clicking noise somewhere around front right wheel (passanger side). It happens all the time even on slightest bumps on the road, actually not on the bumps but in the holes, on speed bumps it doesnt happen no matter how fast I go, it also happens if I turn the steering wheel from left to right repeatedly so it makes whole car sway left and right, or if I'm parked and put my hands above the doors on the frame and push to make car swing left and right. If I push the car from above and just make it move up and down it doesn't happen.
I took it to a authorized citroen service center and they said that they can't determine what it is exactly and they can only start changing parts on that side randomly and see what stops it (stupidest thing I've ever heard) so I took it to a local mechanic and he was confused too. We checked every part of the suspension for slack or play and everything seemed perfect, then he said the rubber on the top of the strut was pretty bad so we changed the strut and nothing changed, then we replaced sway bar links, and then all the bushings on both sides and nothing helps, the sound stays the same..
We are pretty much out of ideas and we checked and double checked everything and nothing has even the sligthest amount of play, wheels feel solid in every direction and cant make the sound happen while on the lift..
Any suggestions are welcomed and thank you all in advance!
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11835
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2004

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Hydractive 3+ clicking sound?

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

The one I would look at is the Frip joint, "normal checks" (because HA suspension) hide the wear/seal failure. (pry bars etc)
IMG_2188.jpeg
No14
00070040.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
Borko Pacavra
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Oct 2026, 15:03
x 1

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Hydractive 3+ clicking sound?

Unread post by Borko Pacavra »

Thanks a lot!
But how to check it then?
Replace it and see if it works?
User avatar
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Posts: 11835
Joined: 28 Mar 2013, 21:05
x 2004

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Hydractive 3+ clicking sound?

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

Raise the wheel, pry-bar into the joint and leaver it, you should not see ANY movement unlike a bushed joint. The joints only have a limited life, the bumpier/dirtier the roads the shorter the life of the joint, the seal fails and you get the results above. In my case I had a little "clack/tick", I could only hear it at low seed, I could feel nothing via the steering for example. It was the dry bearings I could hear.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
Borko Pacavra
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Oct 2026, 15:03
x 1

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Hydractive 3+ clicking sound?

Unread post by Borko Pacavra »

Sounds similar, will try that, thanks