Hi all,
Not sure if vans are covered in here?
My sons father in law has a 2020 model Relay 2.2HDI, ben having major problems, spent small fortune at what was meant to be a local diesel specialist, so far had water pump, belts and timing chain and refurbished injectors, new intercooler etc .
After thousands spent he said it still felt really rough needed the van tho a few days later when he hard a loud bang sitting at traffic lights.
Called the garage recovered it, took out the injectors inspected with borescope to say had dropped a valve due to broken valve spring, not connected to any work they had done and now needs a complete new engine at £8k.
My son is quite tech savvy and reckons the injectors were no coded correctly and over fuelled leading to over revving breaking a valve spring.
Reluctant to let garage spend more on it, is it worth taking the rocker cover off see what has happened or is this engine toast now?
2020 Citroen Relay 2.2 HDI major issues
-
mickthemaverick
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 21145
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
- x 8117
Re: 2020 Citroen Relay 2.2 HDI major issues
If your son is quite techy I'd ask him to take a look at the valve gear and go from there. You may be lucky and get away with valve work alone but you must do a full compression test to check the pistons etc. before trying to run it with the new valve gear. 
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
-
Must be Mad
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 22 Jun 2026, 15:36
- x 12
Re: 2020 Citroen Relay 2.2 HDI major issues
Yes looks like a head off job will get a scope down and have a look