It’s time for me to replace the brake discs and pads for C5 AC. When it comes to aftermarket discs, there are significant price differences between brands such as Ferodo, TRW, Bosch, SWAG, Febi Bilstein, Delphi, ATE, Brembo, etc.
For example, a Febi disc may cost around €50, while a Brembo disc (standard OEM-quality, not one of their performance lines) can cost €100–110 per disc.
What exactly accounts for such a big price difference? Is there really a noticeable difference between a €50 disc and a €110 disc in terms of quality, performance, durability, or braking feel?
Brake Disk Information
-
mickthemaverick
- Forum Admin Team
- Posts: 21094
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
- x 8099
Re: Brake Disk Information
Manufacturing quality, raw materials and dimensions all play a part as does paying for the name!! Personally since my rallying days I have used Mintex discs and pads on all my cars as I find them perfectly matched to my needs. Not the most expensive or possibly the highest performance but very adequate for road driving and decent mileage on a set. 
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
-
PaulC5
- Donor 2024
- Posts: 2605
- Joined: 06 Jun 2023, 15:26
- x 680
Re: Brake Disk Information
The dearer ones might have a paint covering rather than grease so they do not rust in storage. Before fitting the grease has to be cleaned off but not the paint so can be quicker to fit. I tend to buy them from a dealer, they might be expensive but are the correct ones and good quality and have the paint on them. I noticed once they were stamped Brembo. I do the same for the pads having once bought copy ones that did not stop very well but was disappointed when the last ones for the Cactus were made in China despite being from a Citroen dealer.
Citroen do sell Eurorepar brake discs which are a lower cost than their normal ones. I fit them to the front of the C5 as the price was a lot lower but they did not seem to perform as well as the original ones I removed. I used their normal pads, not lower cost ones.
Citroen do sell Eurorepar brake discs which are a lower cost than their normal ones. I fit them to the front of the C5 as the price was a lot lower but they did not seem to perform as well as the original ones I removed. I used their normal pads, not lower cost ones.
-
owl
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 19:26
- x 15
Re: Brake Disk Information
Thanks for the answers. I had some experience with Mintex and Brembo on my Clio RS II years ago, and I was really happy with them.
Yesterday, I also asked a friend of mine who works as a mechanic. He also advised me not to go for the cheapest option. Apparently, the materials used and the coating have a significant impact on heat resistance. He said that cheaper brake discs can be more prone to warping and losing performance when they get hot.
He basically told me that when it comes to safety-critical components such as brakes and tires, it’s not worth choosing the cheapest option.
Yesterday, I also asked a friend of mine who works as a mechanic. He also advised me not to go for the cheapest option. Apparently, the materials used and the coating have a significant impact on heat resistance. He said that cheaper brake discs can be more prone to warping and losing performance when they get hot.
He basically told me that when it comes to safety-critical components such as brakes and tires, it’s not worth choosing the cheapest option.