ZX Coolant Loss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave40
My Cars:

ZX Coolant Loss

Post by Dave40 »

Late July I had the help of the Forum members in identifying a mystery warning light which turned out to be the coolant level. The outcome was I had to add over a litre of coolant to the system. Now, approx 5 weeks later I am seeing the warning light again and am concerned about the loss.
The car runs fine with no smoke other than the normal diesel related type. The question is, is this rate of loss normal and if not, where do I start looking[?]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Not too sure about this one, My ZX TD runs with the coolent about halfay between full and minimum.
Refill to full and within a week its back down to halfway again, never dips below this though and never gets warm. Odd.
I have cmoe to the conclusion it likes the level there.[:)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The amount used should be negligable-I have not had to top up my BX in over a year, so if it's losing a litre in five weeks it must be going somewhere-having said that, it's only a fifth of a litre in a week on average so it wouln't neccessarily appear as steam in the exhaust, and if there are no obvious puddles under the car, then the head-gasket is probably on it's way out- most garages have equipment which can sniff out exhaust fumes in the water so this is probably your next step- it won't cost much and will be able to tell you if the gasket's gone or not.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I wouldn't worry too much about about the head gasket yet (unless you are getting bubbles in the water etc.) could just be a hose thats only leaking when the system is under pressure. Have a good look around as soon as you stop after a run - you might just spot it! As Bxbodger says though, a water check wouldn't do any harm.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I think you can experience coolant loss if the header tank cap needs replacing. I'm not sure it would be a large scale loss though!
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Thermostat housing is a classic place for ZXs apparently. Mine was leaking from there and the (non-Cit) garage failed to spot it, even after pressure testing the system, allegedly!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I would get a local garage to do a pressure test, (it only takes two minutes) and have a good look at your radiator matrix for signs of a damp patch while its under pressure. Then continue to search all round your water system for signs of a leak.
What level are you trying to maintain in your header tank? I dont think the ZX will run with more than low to mediam level in the header tank, mine just spits any surplus out if I fill it beyond that point.. [:I]
Re rate of coolant loss, I don't think it should lose any coolant at all! my hasn't moved in the last six months, i.e. since I had it changed at its last service..
The Aura lost a bit of water at first, under pressure a tiny leak was found in the radiator. Fortes sealer was put in and to date the car has been fine with no further water loss or abnormal temperatures [:)]...
Both cars run at 85-90 degrees on the motorway and climb to about 93-4 ish when parked in traffic on a hot day, so far neither car has ever cut in its cooler fans! (I had them checked to be certain they were working). Your readings may be a bit different as I believe the automatic has a slightly different (bigger) radiator than the manual model.. [?]
Scottie
My Cars:

Post by Scottie »

my 1.9d zx always finds its own coolant level ie if i fill it up it blows out what it doesnt want!