Accumulator sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John F
My Cars:

Accumulator sphere

Post by John F »

Hi, having successfully changed the rear spheres on my Xantia 2 following advice from members and reading past posts; the operation was so easy compared with changing the fronts, no having to hit the sphere to "break" the thread, no extension pipes on the sphere tool, no nothing. This week end I attempted the accumulator sphere and couldn't budge it, even with a 24" steel pipe on the sphere tool handle. What does the sphere fit on to and will it cause any damage if I increase the leverage with a longer extension tube? I have read as many old/archivied posts as I can but only have a very small blow lamp for plumbing work and am very hesitant to start trying to thump the sphere to shake the thread or chisel it off because of the radiator being so close. Is there a picture/sketch/ diagram that will help me decide the best course of action; and as before, any suggestion from members will be greatly appreciated.
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Sorry Guys, please excuse the naff question; I have had another look on the forum (and under the bonnet) and I am sure that the jubilee clip with judicious "thumping" will start the thread.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The only one I ever replaced I did with the pressure regulator so I removed both together.
I separated them afterwards as the place I got the sphere from wanted my old one and they came apart quite easily.
I would imaging access being the biggest problem doing it on the car.
Removing the regulator isn't that difficult and could save you some scraped knuckles.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

the big pipe is 12mm and the smaller pipe is 9mm, the P clamps are 10mm and the block bolts are 11mm. if you decide to go this route, get some pipe seals from citroen.