ZX to Berlingo brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

ZX to Berlingo brakes

Post by rashmore »

Started to fit today to Volcane, put disks on, then tried to fit calipers. Hole centres of caliper match up to mounting braket on suspension, but will not fit over disk as catch on outer edge. Its as if the new (susposedly berlingo disks) do not go back far enough.
When lie disks on floor, the old zx ones are taller, than new ones. Shop where bought from is checking them out for me now, and also looking to see if he has another solution.
Options : I either have the wrong disks, calipers are defo berlingo (bosch) as saw them taken off, or disks are correct and I need the actual bracket that is fastened onto the suspension from the Berlingo (bottom of strutt which drive shaft goes thro, mount ball joint to?
Don't recall having to get this bracket when looking at posts on forum.
Help very much appreciated as not having much luck with this (wrong calipers last time [:(!].)
Thanks
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

OK, shop rang back, defo right disks, therefore looks like I need the bracket from the berlingo suspension, or.....
Other option is to try Pug 307 disks, as these will give me the right hub height and disk diameter - think vented section thickness was slightly different.
If need bracket then please advise, or maybe I have a friday car
To pick up disks tomorrow and try out....if this works then will save a load of hassle and work, otherwise trip to the scrappers again.
Info disk sizes
Model ZX Berlingo
Dia 248 266
total thk 34 28
vent thk 20.5 20
Seems to be one of those jobs
TIA
Jiff Lemon
My Cars:

Post by Jiff Lemon »

I as understand it, you need the calipers and mounting brackets from an early belingo. Then buy new pads, disk and flexi's.
What year is the belingo your getting the bits from?
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

You need brackets from the berlingo.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Yes thought as much - just needed confirmation, in case my car was a friday car (like my old pug 309 - nothing was what it should have been). Not sure of year, but bosch calipers so apparently a later model according to motaquip guy.
Will try the 307 disks first, but failing that, have to go and get the brackets, and then finally...
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

I am getting confused. Is it not the point that the discs are bigger on the Berlingo and therefore you do not have the right yoke (bracket). Why are you trying to fit bigger discs into yokes you already have?
Will you be trying to fit 266mm discs into yokes which are designed to take 247mm discs. If so I think you will encounter a problem whether they go back far enough or not in that the overall height is different.
Apologies if I have mis-understood what you are doing.
Dave
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

To get around having to fit the brackets (carrier/hub), the shop owner and I came up with a cunning plan....but in true Baldrick fashion, it hasn't worked.
As the Berlingo (266mm) disks didn't go back far enough to allow the Berlingo caliper on, we decided to get a pair of disks that match that of the ZX (as it would fit over old disk), but were of larger diameter (266) these are off a Pug 307.
Went to fit last night, and all appeared rosey, Berlingo caliper fitted over disk, tho tolerances were a little tight (307 disks are slightly thicker) Put the pads in the caliper, but then it wouldn't go over the disk and fit the hub carrier - off by a mm or so. Bugger.
I could have made it fit by trimmimg the pads (which are new) but to be on the safe side figured best to get a pair of hangers -that way tolerances won't be as tight, I won't wreck a pair of EBC Green pads or risk them binding / sticking....
A good idea at the time, but not worth the risk as defo need to have reliable braking system. Try again tonight [:I]
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Hmm, the saga continues.....
Have been to collect hangers last night from which calipers were attached, but was then told by the guys there that I need to get different ball joints. The donor model is a people carrier and has apparently got mark 2 underpinnings - which ties in, as calipers are Bosch, and are fitted to later models.
The ball joints are bigger than those on a ZX apparently. He was willing to sell me two wishbones from a Xsara (c/w bushes for £10 ea) but elected to buy new joints and fit to mine. Ordered last night from local supplier, so .....hope all fit together
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Hmm, the saga continues.....
Have been to collect hangers last night from which calipers were attached, but was then told by the guys there that I need to get different ball joints. The donor model is a people carrier and has apparently got mark 2 underpinnings - which ties in, as calipers are Bosch, and are fitted to later models.
The ball joints are bigger than those on a ZX apparently. He was willing to sell me two wishbones from a Xsara (c/w bushes for £10 ea) but elected to buy new joints and fit to mine. Ordered last night from local supplier, so .....hope all fit together