What's it worth?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

What's it worth?

Post by bernie »

1999V Xantia HDI Exclusive estate 94000 miles.
[?][?]
What would you pay?
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

First stop: www.parkers.co.uk
Cheers,
John
Jim_Reaper
My Cars:

Post by Jim_Reaper »

The philosphical answer is its worth what anyone is prepared to pay!
It never ceases to amaze me that people will pay £thousands for a rusty Mini, and yet i bought a Mk 2 Xantia fully loaded with 90k for £500! Weird or what.
www.topgear.com have a link to the glasses guide, though i tink you have to pay for a valuation it is very accurate.
Jim.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

The point I'm trying to make is the value of a 50000 mile example is £4400 but go up to 94000 miles and the value plumments to £2600.
It gives the impression that 94000 is a huge mileage.
Yet interestingly the value at 150000 only falls another £200.
So does the HDI Xantia become a much bigger liability past the 50000 mile mark?
Prices quoted are private/good
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

OOOOOOH I hope not! otherwise i only have 15K to go![;)]
As far as im aware if serviced properly and not by some noddy mechanic who thinks a can of Tesco 10w 40 oil will suffice for 12000 miles, the only bits which go bang are the clutch (which is expensive to fix) and the LP fuel pump (which isnt that bad) - certaily seen some monster mile repmobiles advertised on eBay and Autotrader as i look to replace my ZX....
There was an ex taxi HDi 406 (ok not xant but same engine) advertised through Loot not very many weeks back - had done <b>340 000 </b>miles and was still running! (bit sh***ed out mind you)[^]
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Bernie,
are you looking to sell?
And was it advertised on Auto trader by any chance?
What's the colour, and do you have any pics you could send me?
My e-mail addy is bx16v@hotmail.com
Limit is 250MB now, so no probs with large attachments.
Cheers
Dan
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Don't think so Dan. Bernie wants to collect the set!
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Well it was worth a shot!
I'm thinking this may have been the 'exculsive' that was on AT for about £3700 a little while ago.
Dan
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Sorry Dan[:(], I'm not selling but buying[:)]
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Bernie
Keep an eye on local car auctions I paid £320 (£250 bid + £70 commision) for an immaculate High Mileage 1997 1.9 TD SX Xantia with full service history. Only 2 months MOT on it but a new handbrake cable later and it has 12months MOT. Me chuffed? yes extreeeeeeeemly!!.You can expect to pay 1/2 to 1/4 of the price stated in parkers. Low mileage 2002 cars with full service histories and manufacturers warranties going for 2K to 2.5K. Beemers and Scooby Pretzas are the only cars that seem to hold value.
You might have to wait for one to turn up but believe me it WILL be worth the wait. Especially if you remove the anti knock sensor before it goes into the auction.[:0][}:)][^]
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I've heard of some good buys at auction, but I haven't had the nerve to try it myself. How much chance do you get to view the car before you bid? And what comeback is there if you get a good looking car and then find it drives very badly or has gearbox problems or similar? - as some things become obvious on a test drive. Are auctions easy for the novice?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Most auction stuff at the bottom end are dealer PX's, and they ussually aren't bad buys as long as you aint fussy about what you drive- If you go looking for a specific make ,model, colour, etc, then you will be waiting a long time.
Citroens are usually good auction buys because most people are scared of them, but if its a diesel you may be bidding against the local minicabber who wants it as much as you.
The reason there's not much price difference between a 90000 miler and 150000 miler is because the great British car buying public still think that a car with 100000 on the clock has had it-this may have been the case 25 years ago, but its not any more, but, <b>SHHHHH</b> don't tell anyone or all the bargains will disappear....
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Dave
You can look the car over externally as much as you want but can only look over the interior and engine hear it running etc five minutes before the car goes into the auction. Certain cars ie the more expensive ones have engineering warranties they have been inspected so you do have come back cheaper ones it's the luck of the draw so you really need to take someone who knows what they are doing.
And don't be shy of high milers as BXbodger says if they have service history my Xantia has 170K on the clock and drives like new, the emmisions were high when I first got it 3.7% (legal limit 3%) after diesel injector cleaner and some high rev driving it was down to 1.9%. The engine is as sweet as a nut better than a 70k, 80K and a 95K Xantia that I was looking at private. That service history is essential though