ZX. Which drive shaft?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX. Which drive shaft?

Post by James.UK »

The pesky Aura has developed a bad knock-judder when turning sharp left, entering or exiting a small slot in a car park for example, or turning hard left pulling out from from a side road. [:(!]
I'm fairly certain its a drive shaft, [V] but which one? Left or right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [:)] The car turns right smoothly enough...
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

This sort of thing is a pain in the a**e. Logic says "noise on the left must be left drive shaft" but in reality it seems to boil down to weight distribution etc as you go around to the left you lessen the load on the right and there fore you have noise. So all in all it's more than likely to be the right hand side. A pain as the shaft goes through an engine mount / intermediate bearing. No biggy though as did both mine on an old ZX td in about 4 hours including gear box seals and oil refil. Don't forget change the gear box seals as a matter of course, saves oil over the drive or garge floor.
Sorry have you checked it's not a CV joint? full lock left ot right turn.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

had a xantia yesterday with the same kind of thing - knocking on left turn, have a look at the top engine mounts
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Cheers Stuart, I will get it up on a ramp and on jacks on monday and have a good ferkal round the front axles and suspension, see if i can find any play anywhere.
The car was MOT'd on the day I collected it (last May i think) and had had both drop links, front discs and brake pads fitted. Cars only covered 2,000 mile ish since then? I'm surprised it didnt show up while they were working on it. Hmmm but as the garage I bought it from were paying the bill maybe its not so hard to understand huh. [V]
"Worker" its not that kind of noise-vibration, (but i will check them anyway thanks) its more like the old cars used to sound and feel when the rear uiversal joint's had gone. Its def feels like a multi directional bearing gone somewhere up front, horrible rapid clunky sort of feeling. [V]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

UPDATE.....
Lifted the car up on the ramp, and immediately noticed a big bulge on the inside of the left hand wheel rim!!. The bulge had a shiny spot that indicated it had been touching on something, wishbone maybe? But as I couldn't get the wheel on a full left lock and rotate it under load I was unable to find what exactly it had been hitting. [:(!]
Took the wheel and tire off, sorted the rim with a big hammer, file and emry cloth [:0] [:D]. Checked it on the balencer untill it ran true again, and replaced the tire and wheel, checked everything for damage or play, it all seems to be fine, road tested the car.. Problem sorted. :-)
When questioned the lady driver did say she "hit a huge pot-hole at speed" a few days earlier but the car seemed ok afterwards so she forgot about it !!!! [:0] Duhhh wimmen!!!!
Total cost of repair - £10 for use of the garage equipment [:)]
Thanks for the help and advice.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Oh well at least it wasn't any thing really bad in the wallet dept them.