Xantia 2.0 HDi (W reg) - cooling fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnny
My Cars:

Xantia 2.0 HDi (W reg) - cooling fans

Post by johnny »

Thanks for response re-immobiliser. (Silly me forgot to check fuses before panicing) Found out No2 fuse blown in passenger compartment fuse box. Everything okay again re-starting.
Anyway now to cooling fans!!
Start car and "STOP" light and temperature warning light both start flashing. After approx 1 minute LH fan starts on high speed and "STOP" and temperature warning light stop flashing (car cold).
As soon as fan stops running both lights start flashing again.
Both fans check out OK.
I have been told that with air-con on both fans should run at half speed (series link relay).
Checked out relays all OK.
Been told it may be refrigerant coolant temperature control box (Don't even know where this is located)
Any help re this problem would be appreciated.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Start car with a/c on and the fans start at half speed, irrespective of refrigerant pressure excepting that:
If the refrigerant was overpressure, the aircon clutch would not come in and the fans would both run at full speed.
A single fan at full speed can be provoked by shorting two pins of the rad temp switch. Short all three and both fans should run at full speed. If you cannot get both fans to run at half speed by shorting any combination of two wires of the rad switch then you have a duff connector somewhere.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nah, Tom[:D]
On Xantias with A/C the fans are controlled by the Bitron unit, which takes a temperature signal off one of the three senders in the thermostat housing. If only one fan comes on at high speed then there is some sort of fault with the wiring, one of the relays, the sensor, the bitron unit, or the fan itself[:o)]
My mate has got similar on his 306, he had the brain read at the Pug gararge and it pointed to duff fan. A tweak of the wiring brought the fan back on and light out, but it came back the next day. He hasn't summoned the inner strength to pull the bumper off yet to fix it properly[8)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnny</i>

Both fans check out OK.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
how exactly did you check them ? if the relays,feeds at the relays & their plugs are ok and free from corrosion then i would also suspect a faulty RH fan motor.
have you checked the fuses [:p]
primo

Post by primo »

A bit late this but, I've just had the same fault and it was caused by contact corrosion on the R/H fan where it plugs into the loom. You must remove the fan (stupidly, 3 nuts on the exchanger face side) and clean the contacts. Tip, do the L/H one at the same time.