306D losing oil FAST

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

will16v
My Cars:

306D losing oil FAST

Post by will16v »

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with this one..
I have just replaced the head gasket, had the head skimmed and pressure tested, as there was oil in the water, and engine was overheating.
Now more oil than ever is dripping out onto the floor. I have checked the water and there is a little oil in the rad, but i need to flush out again, as i think it is the remainder of what was in there from the faulty head gasket + the car runs a lots cooler/lower temp.
Its just there is a bloody lot of frsh oil on the floor - i havent been under it as yet, as i just noticed last night, but it seems to be coming from the sump plug. I got to work this morning and it was along the bottom edge of the sump also - could this be because the wind/force of the air pushing past the car, is forcing the oil back onto the sump? When the car is stationary, it just seems to be dripping from the sump nut itself...
Is it common for the sump seal to go? I rung Peugeot and they said you have to use a compound sealer - no gasket available...
Many thanks in advance,
Will.
solara

Post by solara »

Silly question but has to be asked.
Does your sump drain plug have a new copper washer between the drain plug and the sump? These should be replaced with every oil change.
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

Yes, i put one on - its there now!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Hoe about the rest of the engine, is it covered in oil? front or back? It could be that the rocker cover is loose and the oil is coming out of it, running down the engine and dripping off the sump!
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

No its not the rocker cover - its well and truly sealed - but i changed the sump plug and that seems to have cured it mainly, but i also put some new drive shafts on aswell, and there seems to gearbox oil all over the bottom of the engine - i dont know if i've over filled, or just spilt some - could be this or maybe a seal?- oil is very 'thin' to touch - not engine oil - but its all over the bottom of the sump and surrounding area etc...doing my head in now
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

When changing drive shafts as a rule of thumb , you always need to change the gearbox seals. It sounds as though you have gear box oil p***ng out of the box.
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

does this mean the gearbox is gonna pack up if i dont sort it out?
I suppose it will won't it - bugger - i don't believe this - another weekend of fun then hehe - might as well do brakes whilst i'm at it then..!