Is my temperature reading normal?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeFrog
My Cars:

Is my temperature reading normal?

Post by LeFrog »

I've noticed that my temperature gauge needle will range from about 75-100. When idle, the fan will kick in around 100 and bring it down to 90, so I assume that 90 is considered ideal.
When on the motorway, it will sit well below 90. Does this not suggest that the temperature is less than ideal and that my thermostat may be playing up?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi
If your stat was stuck open, the engine would take for ever to warm up. Your temp gauge is not a precision instrument, so don't worry about it - sounds quite normal
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Typically, it takes about 3 minutes of driving for the fast idle to disappear. The temperature gauge stays on the minimum for about five minutes. It then creeps up to about 70 or 75 and will fluctate at this low level until I'm in a queue. It then creeps its way up to around 100, when the fan kicks in and brings it down to around 90.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Sounds pretty normal to me LeFrog. Mine is the same regardless of outside temps. R.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Must agree [:D]. Your temp guage sounds about right. Cold start etc all sound about right [:D]. One thing I noticed on both my VTR's both 'S' reg's that I had to change the thermostat after about 4 or 5 years. The one I have now is just coming up to 6 years and I changed the stat about 4 months ago as it the guage was not moving. All OK now though [:D]