rover 218sldt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doogle2
My Cars:

rover 218sldt

Post by doogle2 »

Hi All
I have a 1994 218 sldt with a peugot engine and think I need new glow plugs can anyone please tell me the part no.
regards Doug.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Do a parts search for glowplugs under 205 turbo diesel. That's a 1769cc turbo engine which must be the same as yours.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

The later 218 were fitted with the 1905 turbo and were still called the 218. The easiest way is to check on your V5 registration document for the engine size, although I am sure all the heater plugs are the same for the turbo. In my experience fit the best as they will last the longest. If you are still experiencing poor cold starting, check the head gasket as compression is more critical for diesel engines than petrol for ignition.
Kevin
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Before spending cash on some new plugs its worth actually testing them, which is quite easy. Remove them one by one from the cyclinder head and connect using a couple of bull dog clips to the battery. Ensure a block of wood is under the plug so as not to burn anything. It should glow hot! if not its duff. If it is then take it along and match it up for a new one. If they are all working, then there could be a few things to look for. Does the relay work and operate long enough for the plugs, measure the amps useage. Low compression, take out an injector and apply a compression tester on each cyclinder in turn. Fuel problem, sometimes a small air leak can cause the fuel to drain back to the tank if left overnight etc, hence lots of cranking to get it going.