coolant change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil

coolant change

Post by basil »

Whats the easiest way to do a coolant change (xan 19td 117k a/c 95n)?
Have read a few postings and have had a quick look for drainplugs but could not identify where it is.Have got 3l of antigel and distilled water as advised on site.
Has anyone tried millers coolant additive ,it claims to reduce corrosion and improve cooling(by up to 15'c).
Also how easy is it to clean the rad/intercooler/aircon sandwich[?]
Thanks
________
RISK EQUALIZATION ADVICE
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Before you start - take a good look at the bottom edge of the radiator - run your hand along it looking for signs of rust / coolant stains. If it hasn't been changed, it will probably need to be.....
There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator on the right had side of the car (looking forwards!). Drain the old coolant off - flush with a garden hose if the old stuff is at all suspect. Locate the bleed screw(s) and open them - on a 95 there is probably only one, on top of a T piece over the RH engine mount. Slowly fill the header tank, then when you get it full to the top, make an extra header tank (I used a mineral water bottle) and keep filling until the coolant comes out of the bleed screw - let a bit come out, then put the cap back on the bleed screw. Add another few inches of coolant, and start the engine. Keep your bottle of coolant handy. Wedge the accelerator down a bit to give you about 2000 rpm, and watch the header tank. Air bubbles will be expelled, especially when the thermostat opens - add more coolant as necessary to keep the level up, and keep running the engine until the fans cut in and out a couple of times (takes about 20 minutes - yawn!). Shut the engine down, remove any excess coolant from the header tank and remove it. Leave to cool, re fit the tank cap and take it for a run. Check the level when it's cold next morning - it will probably dump a bit of coolant on the first run as the level will be too high.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

There's also a drain plug on the back of the engine block which will have to be undone to get rid of any coolant left in the block.
With the car on axle stands, looking from underneath, it's about six inches above the top of the sump on the gearbox side. It's a metal plug, about 19mm size. Undo and get out of the way quick.
My tip for a good seal on a header tank - lots of plumbers' PFTE tape wrapped around the top of the bottle to help make a tight seal.
Never used Millers coolant additive, but I can vouch for their diesel additive, engine oil and gearbox oil. All good stuff.
pazauk
My Cars:

Post by pazauk »

Hi all i found that a robinsons bottle is a really tight fit and worked a treat, Ralph is the drain plug that your talking about on the 2.1td because if it is thanks i was looking for that damn thing for weeks gave up in the end and just flushed it from the one on the rad, Is it near to the oil drain?