oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

oil

Post by john alexander »

Hi has anyone used ovoline LDX 15W/40 in a 1.9 TD xantia .I.was given about 18Ltrs of the stuff, and would like to hear opinions on it. I have been using granville platinum diesel up till now , car has 110 k on clock.[?]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've had a look at the specs on that oil and it looks suitable for a Xantia TD.
The full specs are at http://www.ovoline.co.uk/ovoline/pdf/hgv.pdf.
What you need for a Xantia TD is a 15W/40 oil with an API rating of CD or above, and this oil satisfies both of those conditions.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

That oil will give an average protection to the engine.
For a good protection, I would recomend a 10W/40 specification instead.
For a very good protection a 5W/40, and for an excellent protection, a 0W/40.
Remaing factors of the oil mainly impact the adequate changing intervals, and not the effective protection while the oil is in good condition.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Forget the API rating and check out the ACEA grade (a far more modern system, and based on real driving conditions in Europe)
www.acea.be/ACEA/publications.html
select "European Oil sequences 2002 Revised"
From this you can see that LDX is a very good diesel oil (ACEA B3, E3), more than adequate for your Xantia. It might have some problems in really cold weather (15 cold viscosity rating) but I don't think the UK weather will bother you.
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Oil viscosity has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the protection that an oil will give your engine. API and ACEA ratings do. Not all oils with the same viscosity rating will give equal protection to an engine.
The oil has to be suited to the engine. A car engine is engineered with clearances and tolerances. These clearances change as the car warms up so the oil has to have a viscosity profile that is matched to the engine. Putting a 0w/40 oil into an engine which needs a 15w/40 is not necessarily a good thing to do, you'll probably get away with it but if the manufacturor wanted the engine to use a 0w/40 oil it would be specified rather than the 15w/40 that is specified.
silverback

Post by silverback »

What is the recommended spec/grade of engine oil for a '99 Xantia 110 hdi?
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere butI haven't got an owners manual.
Thanks.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I believe all HDi engines are supposed to use 5w40 semi synth oil. My local dealer uses Total Quartz 9000.
I wouldn't reccomend using anything thinner than a 10w/40 in an XUD engine. I tried some 5w/40 in my old Xantia and it rattled like a bag of spanners when it was cold. I found it ran best on Castrol GTD+ 10w/40 which is pretty cheap at £8+VAT for 5 litres. Friend of mine is using Shell Rimula 15w/40 in his, which he buys for his tractors and he's never had any bother in 50,000 miles. I sell it for 60p a litre (by the barrel).
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

What is the TOTAL recomendation for an xud engine ?
err I knew this ounce but forgot, I think its in the handbook but guess what I can't find[:(!]