zx squealing steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nipper

zx squealing steering

Post by nipper »

Can anyone advice?
My 93 1.9D LX has recentlt developed a strange squealing/whining noise when turning more than 1/2 a turn in either direction.
I have tried bleeding the system but see no sign of bubbles being purged from the system.
Does it require a fluid change and if so how is that done? Or is this symptomatic of a different problem?
Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Regards
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sounds like the pump drive belt could be slipping, that will make a squeeling noise, it will also be worse when the alternator load is high, such as just after starting or when using headlights or heated screen.
Dave
nipper

Post by nipper »

Thanks for your reply, I've checked the belt and it doesn't appear to be loose and it doesn't sound like a belt squeal either, it is more noticeable a short while after starting as well, so would not appear to be happening after drawing a heavy load. I am happy to change the belt anyway, but wonder if I should be making any other checks/changes as well?
Kind regards
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

The belt may not be be loose but it could be worn, this too would allow it to slip. If it looks silvery or shinny it has bitten the dust.
It could be a slight oil leak on to the clutch from the crank oil seal. As the clutch warms up the oil will allow a slight slip and so the noise but not allow any loss of drive as it burns off. Saying that I'd go for the drive belt my self.
nipper

Post by nipper »

Changed belt but no difference, in fact it seems to have developed a noise when stationary on tick over, this disappears if I give it a few revs, could new belt be highlighting a different fault or symptom? Any ideas gratefully received.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try running the engine a short while withOUT the belt fitted - then listening for the same noise.
This would at least halve the possibilities.
If the noise is still evident no belt - then try the best you can to pinpoint the location of the noise. I suspect the waterpump.
nipper

Post by nipper »

Can give this a try, however water pump was changed as a precaution less than 5000 miles ago when the Cam belt was changed, so I don't suspect extra belt tension would be highlighting a problem there? My main concern is the squeaking/squealing sound from the steering when turning 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Could this be a steering pump problem? I asked GSF for a price on a steering pump but was advised they didn't do them for this 1.9D, does that indicate that it is unlikely to be a pump problem?
Regards and thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I expect your PAS pump drive belt is shared with the alternator and has a tensioner. Its possible that the tensioner or the alternator are making the noise, the power taken by the PAS pump when pumping causing an increased load on the 'Pull' side of the belt.
I'd drop the belt off and run the engine and see what happens. At least the water pump isn't on this belt so no fear of overheating!
Another possibility I suppose is the ram piston but the few instances of problems we have seen on here make no mention of noise but just extreme stiffness. have a look at the bottom of this link:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=9494
jeremy
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Ive had a similar problem, and it was the drive belt tensioner pulley. Apparently (from what ive heard) they have a tendancy to go. To see if its the problem, like everyone else says, try it without the belt and see if theres a noise.
nipper

Post by nipper »

Thanks for all the advice, can I drive the car and test the steering noise without the belt on?
Regards
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

No power steering belt. You'll need muscles like pop eye for that. All you'll need is to get the bonnet up and start up the engine. Have a listen.
nipper

Post by nipper »

The noise at tick over disappeared last week and has not returned. When I changed the belt I was unable to loosen one of the tensioner allen keys so dropped the alternator in order to change the belt rather than adjust the tensioner. Am I right in assuming that removing the belt won't diagnose the noise with the squeal/whistling on the steering (as I won't be able to test this with the belt off?) Is there a way to test the tensioner? Do you think the tensioner is what I should concentrate on?
Regards
beezer

Post by beezer »

Sounds very much like PAS pump problem but if you are not losing fluid or no sign of bubbles in the reservoir then it is strange. Could even be the rack.
nipper

Post by nipper »

The noise is only there when the car is moving, if I turn the steering wheel when stationary then it does not emit the noise. Haven't had a chance to test without the belt but if the noise is only when driving along I don't see that I will learn anything by testing with the belt off if the car is stationary as It doesn't do it with the belt on when stationary. Does this narrow things down?
Regards
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

It could be a lot of things. One thing worth checking is the driveshafts. My 306 had a strange squealing noise which turned out to be the gaitor over the outer CV joint on the driveshaft had split, lost all its grease and dried out...
Easy to check for splits in the gaitors and it may be the culprit.