xantia coolant light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

xantia coolant light

Post by louis1 »

Hi first thing in the morning my coolant light and stop light come on and they go out after a few mins when the engine is warm, this happens every morning now since i put some radweld in the system to help fix a matrix, so does anyone know where the sensor is or how it works,etc
Thanks Louis
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The coolant level sensor works by measuring the conductivity of the coolant. If the two pins on the sensor are covered with muck or Radweld, they will see a higher resistance, convincing the electronics that the level is low and pulling on the STOP light. Pull it out and give it a clean. Then go and sell the car or buy a new radiator and matrix 'cos if this is your TD then you will almost certainly have murdered its head gasket having silted up the radiator! Not today but...
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Sorry this is on the V6 Xantia and it only happens when engine is cold and the engine runs normally apart from this.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

This may be a bit obvious, but have you physically checked the level using the Mk 1 human eyeball sensor,torch, and a dipstick? It may be a bit low, and as it heats and expands it covers the sensor pins which then switches the light off- in other words it's doing it's job and warning you of a low water level, as it should.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The header tanks are prone to leakage too. Easy enough to change and about £40.