Another Xantia Hydraulics Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave2003
My Cars:

Another Xantia Hydraulics Problem

Post by Dave2003 »

Hi,I wonder if anyone can help? I'm having problems with my 93 Xantia 1.9TD SX. It started with a leak from the top of the LHS front strut which left a pool of LHM on the road!(only for 2-3 seconds?)[:(].I cleaned this up and it doesn't seem to have done it again, however since then, the click/hiss from the accumulator was about every 5-6 seconds! Changed the accumulator sphere, now it's every second or so? Any ideas why? also since this I now have more problems. LHM is slowly coming from the regulator, but from the opposite end to the accumulator sphere, and a slight leak from the pump itself. Again any ideas? and finally the front end continually drops very slightly, then pumps itself back to the correct height, seems to cause the click\hiss every second or so. Could this be caused by over pressurising of the system? or should iI be looking for leaks and could it be a damaged strut? Sorry to go on but any help or suggestions greatly recieved!
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

There's a rubber leak off pipe coming from the base of the front struts, this pushes onto a metal pipe fastened to the subframe. Trace this up to the lhm reservoir and take off the relevant pipe up there, be prepared for loads of LHM to come spewing out. If it does, then the strut is dead and needs to be replaced. Given the symptoms a severe strut failure sounds the most likely. More pressure in the system just raises the car, so if it's trying to sit at the correct height, you can rule that out.
derekjl57
My Cars:

Post by derekjl57 »

.. on the upside, it only took an hour to replace the strut on my 1.9TD. I replaced the O ring at the same time, but it wasn't needed and took almost as long as its really fiddly (took two of us in the end). Down side was the cost of a new strut from the dealer (GSF didn't have any) - £175, but at least they delivered it free!
Dave2003
My Cars:

Post by Dave2003 »

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS">Sorry for the delay in replying, the PC died. I traced the pipe to the reservoir and, as you quoted, there was a steady flow of LHM coming out! [xx(] .I managed to get a new strut (Euro carparts-£143.00), plus the 'O'rings from the main dealer. The 'O'rings were a pain, and took a while, but it's made a hell of a difference.[:)].The car now rises steadily, and the nose stays at the correct hight.[:)]
Unfortunately, I still have the leak from the pressure regulator [:(], and the usual hiss is now about 10-15 seconds apart (after replacing the strut).It can last for minutes at a time and I reckon the regulator is stuffed. Does anyone know why or how the fluid is gettig out of the regulator [?](since it's the opposite end from the sphere).And is there any chance that you can repair the regulator, or is it a new one?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You could have a split pipe - not at all uncommon. I also think you should check the accumulator sphere.
//NiSk