Leaking coolant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Leaking coolant

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Well you did say I would be back!
I've just driven back from Aberdaron in North Wales and 1 mile from home steam/smoke started pouring out of the right-hand side of the bonnet, I pulled over and the engine was soaked. Managed to drive home and let the car cool down, then topped up the coolant and started the car but it overheated and spurted out coolant from the header tank... Sorry, the car is a 1.9TD Xantia, M reg with 63,000 on the clock. Is this problem serious? I've had the car since April with no problems whatsoever.
Please help...
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The cooling system will need to be bled to verify any problem. Check the fan switch before comdemning the head gasket.
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Cheers, will do that now, while the weather is good[8D]. This is my 1st Xantia and so far I love it, except for today[:(]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

With any PSA diesel, steam is not good news! If the high temp lamp lights (and buzzer too), STOP immediately - or you'll blow a head gasket (or aleady have it would seem).
//NiSk
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Ok, bled the system, then checked the fan switch, the fan is not kicking in when the engine gets hot. Just drove it 1/2 mile down the road and back and the temperature rose very quickly to over 80, it usually runs at 60 - 70, got home and husband got the fan to kick in manually, but it didn't bring the temperature down, although it didn't rise anymore either. No warning lights came on the dash. Could this be a thermostat problem, i'd rather it be that than the head gasket...
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ok, I would not expect the fan to come in until 88 or 92 degrees. Thats normal for a 1.9TD.
Agree with advice above, I would top up coolant to the maximum level, bleed out the system ensuring that the heater is turned to the hot position to ensure all air is bleed through the heater matrix, then run the car with the rad cap off and see if it boils over before than fans come in.
Could be a blocked radiator, when the engine is hot, is the rad hot all over or is it hot at the top and cold at the bottom? If so, blocked radiator.
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Thanks for the advice, just going to do a full drainage of the coolant and flush out then put new coolant in, and follow the advice given, fingers crossed that it's something easy to fix.
Thanks again everyone, will let you know how I get on.
Greasy Deb...
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Probably, to eliminate a problem, be a good idea to remove the thermostat before you refill.
You can test the thermostat opens by heating in a pan of water, it should open before boiling point. If you have a thermometer so much the better to see actual temp. at opening.
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Yiphee...Problem was a broken thermostat, put a new one on, did all the bleeding of coolant etc, fan came on at 92c, will now keep an eye on the coolant level over the next week.
A BIG thank-you to all that gave advice, I am now a very happy Xantia owner[:D]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Excellant news[:)]