Turbodiesel injection

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Turbodiesel injection

Post by tomsheppard »

I have just driven a Bosch injected TD1.7 on 110,000 miles. Bottom end torque and power delivery were very much smoother than my 130,000 mile old Lucas fuelled engine. Is this characteristic of the injection system as there is nowt wrong with the lucas engine which will pull the Estate to 118 MPH indicated but always feels harsh?
Is it worth swapping over to the Bosch system as I can, or is it not worth the bother?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I've always been curious if the turbo manufacturer also makes a difference, i.e. KKK or Garrett; perhaps there is an optimum combination? I think the same applies to the 1.9TD's as well; some will feel much more lively than others - it could be other factors added in there as well, like the state of the injectors.
The Bosch and Lucas systems also seem to operate at different pressures; there can be 40bar difference, the Bosch system nearly always being higher. The HDi's use the principle that higher pressure is better, so perhaps the Bosch system is that little better?
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

My dad used to have a Aura Estate TD with the Bosch pump and Garett turbo and was much more responsive at lower revs than my Bosch pumped KKK turbod Volcane TD, although mine was much more responsive at higher speeds which suggests to me that the KKK is a bigger turbo than the Garett. The boost has been checked on mine and increased from the original 0.8bar it was running to 1.2bar, but even so the estate still had more low down power.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The state of the airfilter and exhaust make a big difference....
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

So does that mean my 2.2 HDI has a Bosch pump?