Rear is sinking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Rear is sinking

Post by tonyb1 »

I've noticed that my Xantia 1.9TD LX (M) is playing up at the rear. When I start the car, the front goes up lovely, then the rear goes up, then down slowly, then up again slowly. When I put it at Max height, the rear starts sinking after about 40 seconds. The indicator under the bonnet is showing low LHM at full height and does not lower to the correct mark when I add more. Can anyone tell me what's going on, much appreciated.
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Sounds like 2 different problems Tony.
I had similar goings - on with my rear suspension and it was mainly due to a sticking height corrector mechanism,which I freed -up by covering in WD40/penetrating oil/engine oil and a small hammer(!) - I just tapped the main parts then worked it all free by moving height lever back and forth with engine off.You should then cover in grease.
The disappearing fluid could be due to flat spheres which are "sucking up" the LHM as they become empty of gas. - assuming there is no visible external leak.
There are many postings on how to test the suspension - this is just one of them http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... itaerobics
Other more expert members will be able to help you further
Regards
pete.fair

Post by pete.fair »

what is the problem if when sitting on the boot edge it does not rise after 30 seconds, the rear pheres were changed and height can still be altered by using the lever ?
Cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pete - There are 2 ways the height are controlled :
1) the automatic levelling which uses a mechanical linkage connection from the anti-roll bar to the controller. On the rear this involves a short plastic link.
2) the manual setting which uses a separate mechanical linkage to the controller, for over-riding the automatic levelling control.
The linkage around the plastic link has most likely seized.