Dodgy fluid level indicator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kinrsole
My Cars:

Dodgy fluid level indicator

Post by kinrsole »

I have just tried to check the fluid level for the first time (only had the car a couple of weeks) but the orange level indicator seems to be stuck at the top of the sight glass. Is there a way to tell if it is actually stuck or has just been over filled? If it is stuck is there an easy way to 'unstick it’ or will there be bit more to it that that,like taking the reservoir off,draining fluid etc. When it comes to hydraulic suspension I am a complete novice so it all looks a bit daunting yet[:I].
cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Correct method of checking fluid level :
SET the height (manually) to highest with engine idle, then check the float indicator is within the 2 red rings.
Low fluid level means risc of air getting into the system, no drama unless really severe, as can be vented easy, but un-expected behaviour may occur.
Over filling the reservoir is very dangerous to friendship with neighbours and missus, as messy spillage then occurs [8D]
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Thanks for the reply.
That's the way I checked it and the indicator was right at the top of the viewer!
There isn't any spillage which is why I wondered if the indicator was stuck.
If it is stuck and i do have a leak in the future the dash indicator light will not work.
How can I check to see if it is stuck.
Should the indicator level change as the suspension is raised and lowered manually?
cheers
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

hello
My indicator was exactly the same ,and it`s unlikely to be stuck,just overfilled,as mine was.
You just unscrew complete dome assembly a half turn and lift it out slowly,then needle should drop,mine had to be lifted about 1 1/2" before it dropped.
I left the excess in the tank as I was about to change some spheres( when you lose a bit) and as Anders said at the time ,its not a problem if no spillage occurs anyway.But you can remove excess with a pipette type glass or a "Tesco value chicken baster" which was suggested when I had my problem.
Check" hydraulic fluid overfill" posting a couple of weeks ago,
Good luck
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Thanks for that.
I've just unscrewed mine and it did indeed drop when I lifted it up.
Only another couple of months before the 'new car paranoia wears off’[:I]
cheers
KinRsole