changing glow plugs on a 306 xrdt - easy??

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianb
My Cars:

changing glow plugs on a 306 xrdt - easy??

Post by ianb »

I've started getting a blast of grey smoke and a few seconds rough running at start up on my '93 306 xrdt, after that everything runs ok, I'm guessing that new glow plugs may be in order, if so is this straight forward for someone with four thumbs on each hand and only a Haynes manual for reference?
tips anyone
thanks
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

I've changed on 106, 205 and 405, but cannot say how accessible a 306 is.
You will definately need a 12mm socket. What I do is test each across a battery, after you have taken them out. You should get an orange glow after 5-10 seconds. DON'T GET BURNT!!!! Or use a curcuit tester.
I usually find 2 are duff when the problems start. Hope you go on OK and it's not an air leak!
Finally do not overtighten, they are only fine threads!!!!!
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ianb</i>

I've started getting a blast of grey smoke and a few seconds rough running at start up on my '93 306 xrdt, after that everything runs ok, I'm guessing that new glow plugs may be in order, if so is this straight forward for someone with four thumbs on each hand and only a Haynes manual for reference?
tips anyone
thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I believe the 306 Turbo Diesel engine is the same as the ZX TD, and if so the glow plugs will come out, it is a bit of a job though.
The glowplug behind the diesel pump is particularly difficult, you'll probably have to undo some pipes to get to it, easier. The intercooler will have to come off, it has to anyway for the other three. Don't be tempted to just change three, don't give up on the No.4 behind the pump. Do that one first and refuse to do the other three until you have got it.[:)]
Do a search against ' glowplugs ' on the entire forum, you'll get loads of hints and tips on how to do the job. It's fiddly, not impossible, and you will feel better knowing you have done the job yourself![:D]
ianb
My Cars:

Post by ianb »

That's my Sunday morning accounted for then -
Thanks for the tips guys.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I found that patience (spelling) is a must for this job. If you can can hold of a cheap set of metric spanners so you butcher them up. Number 4 plug by the fuel pump is a pain but if you can get the nut off the leads to it then you have cracked it as the plug will come out a Pices of p**s. Just take your time. If you smoke have one, tea or coffe just don't race them. Do a search on 'glow plugs' on the site. You'll learn all the tricks.