Xantia clock light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fab1975
My Cars:

Xantia clock light

Post by fab1975 »

Hi guys,
unfortunately it seems that the bulb that illuminates the clock/temperature display on my W reg. Xantia 2.0 HDi has gone. It should not be too expensive to replace it, but I really don't know how go access the old bulb without removing the steering wheel, which honestly I am not going to do for such a little problem.
Do you have any idea?
Thank you very much indeed for all your help and suggestions!
Cheers,
Fab
Vert Galant
My Cars:

Post by Vert Galant »

Hi Fab,
Assuming this is a type II Xantia and the (left/right)position of the steering wheel is irrelevant for the job, you do not need to remove the steering wheel.
I've translated the description published on a dutch Xantia forum for you, but I also did the routine myself:
Remove the covers behind the steering wheel (two torx on bottom side).
Put steering wheel in down position.
Remove radio frame.
Remove two torx behind the cover of the fuses.
Unscrew the torx of the plate with the left mirror adjustment knob.
Unscrew all torx of the strip, containing the clock aot (the flat part in front of the dash board meters comes along with it).
You can now remove the light bulb, without opening the clock, by turning the square light bulb socket seen on the back side.
When you are this far, you can replace all dash board light bulbs (the others will fail soon) by unscrewing two torx below and one above the dash board meters and remove it all.
Leo
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Good morning Vert Galant, a very intersting post considering the amount of breath sucking when talking to the Citroen Main Dealer Service Reception about dash bulb changes. I am interested in the sentence "Unscrew the torx of the plate with the left mirror adjustment knob", the '99 MkII HDi I have has the electric mirror control for both sides on the driver side door; in which case I assume that this line of the proceedure can be ignored?
fab1975
My Cars:

Post by fab1975 »

Hi Vert,
thank you very much for your suggestion, it has been very much appreciated! Does that Dutch website have pictures as well? In that case I would like to have a look.
Anyway, my Xantia is a post-facelift model, year 2000.
Thanks again, I will try during the next week-end and then I will let you know the results!
Best Regards,
Fab
Vert Galant
My Cars:

Post by Vert Galant »

@ John: the panel to be removed (indeed near driver side door) is just below the strip that contains the clock, alarm button,temperature sensor and airco button. Removing it exposes the final torq of this same strip. BTW,dealers here claim they need 30 minutes for the job (MkII). Appearantly with MkI, the cover behind the steering wheel is not split in two halves, so then the steering wheel has to come off.
@Fab: I's sorry to say that no pictures are available, but I don't think you'll need them. BTW. there are if you want to change the bulbs of the heater controls (http://xantiaclub.net/onderhoud/article.php?id=5).
fab1975
My Cars:

Post by fab1975 »

Leo,
I have just done it, 30 minutes and voilá: the bulb is working again [:D][:D]
Thank you very much indeed, you have made me save a lot of money!
Cheers,
Fab