XUD V's HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Seamster15
My Cars:

XUD V's HDi

Post by Seamster15 »

Hi All!
I recently got myself a 306 Hdi to complement my current collection of Zx's! Its the 90bhp version with just 103k on the clock, however I have the following issue...
Its not nice to drive! The hdi engine seems to be lacking torque in comparison to my 1.9d ZX 143k(non turbo). For example I can change gears, stay in gears and generally drive around without ever labouring the engine.
However with the Hdi I have to change gears all the time! Where the Zx will pull in the third, the hdi will need 2nd!!!! Arhhh!
Surly the Hdi should be smoother and mory torquey ?
Is it a question of gearing?
Are all Hdi 90's like this ?
Do I need a tuning box to make it drivable ?
Am I expecting too much from a "modern" engine?
Should I just shut up and keep driving the zx?
Cheers...
Simon
Jon

Post by Jon »

Keep driving the ZX. See my post "Why I hate the Xsara MK2" where I rant on about the poorness of the HDI engine, the need for constant gearchanges and the lack of power and torque.
I've just bought a Dragon Performance tuning box to upgrade the Xsara from 90 to 115BHp, I'll fit it tomorrow and report back.
Interestingly, I also have a Berlingo HDi 90 but that goes like a train, this is due to the fact that its much lower geared.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Is it just that the car doesn't respond, or does it judder ?
How about letting it pull itself along in 1/2/3/4/5 gears without any accelerator input, it should be able to do this without a problem.
My dads 406 hdi 110 will pull like a train from 30 in 5th. Once in the peak torque band ( 1800 upwards ) you start to get a kick in the back.
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

Is it just that the car doesn't respond, or does it judder ?
How about letting it pull itself along in 1/2/3/4/5 gears without any accelerator input, it should be able to do this without a problem.
My dads 406 hdi 110 will pull like a train from 30 in 5th. Once in the peak torque band ( 1800 upwards ) you start to get a kick in the back.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It starts to labour the engine when pulling from low rev's unlike the zx which just pulls and pulls! I'm thinking thats it to do with the gearing of the car as its just great to drive on the motorway.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Does this apply to the 110HDi engine also, as I was hoping to get a Xantia estate in that flavour....
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Keep driving the ZX. See my post "Why I hate the Xsara MK2" where I rant on about the poorness of the HDI engine, the need for constant gearchanges and the lack of power and torque.
I've just bought a Dragon Performance tuning box to upgrade the Xsara from 90 to 115BHp, I'll fit it tomorrow and report back.
Interestingly, I also have a Berlingo HDi 90 but that goes like a train, this is due to the fact that its much lower geared.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Please do post the results as I am looking to get a tuning box to improve the performance... I knew I should have never sold the Volcane 3dr TD !!!!!!! blast!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Very high presure direct injection engines certainly seem to have a "harshness" that ID diesels don't. They also "seem" to have a narrower torque band. My judgements are based on comparing my 11 year old XM TD12 with my company Audi A4 TDI. Sure the Audi gets more power out of the cc's but the XM is far nicer to drive and envolves less gear changing - it will go round most turns in 3rd with no trouble - which the A4 won't. Of course it could be worsened by the gear ratios - it's quite evident that Audi have developed the A4 at least for Autobahn cruising att high speed, the gearing is what helps keep the fuel consumption down.
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The HDIs do seem to have higher gearing, and have better low down torque. The HDI 110 produces the same torque at 1500rpm that the 1.9 TD does at 2250 rpm (i.e. peak torque). The HDI 90 puts out its peak torque at lower RPMs than the 1.9 TD 1900 vs 2250
Have a look at http://www.citroenet.org.uk/html/h/hdi90test.html for a review of Xantia TD vs HDI.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I added a tuning box from East Coast Racing to my C5, it turned it from a good car into a great car. It is very fast and makes the engine a true joy to drive.
I haven't timed the increase in performance, but it is significant. No decrease in economy either.