xantia rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alun
My Cars:

xantia rear suspension

Post by alun »

help needed,have problem with rear suspension stuck in the maximum position on 1997 td xantia. close examination shows rear height valve spring which bolts to rigid beam is broken. would i lose height control because of this as lever in car is only controlling front suspension.would like to repair it myself any suggestions!!!!!!!!!
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Hi Alun
I`m just new myself to Xantia suspension having bought my Xantia only a few weeks ago , talk about initiation by fire!!
From my limited knowledge I would think that the complete height corrector will have to be replaced ,as I don`t think the bits are supplied separately.(£64 through GSF) This job you could possibly do yourself,depending on your level of proficiency(??)
and with the help of this forum.
You may be able to get the car down by operating the linkage manually and only if you get the car up safely on ramps or above a pit - then you could drive to a local garage to have the job done.
I suggest you look at this :http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... ,corrector
which shows pictures of the offending part so you might determine
how to get it working temporarily.
If I have got it wrong, don`t worry ,the cavalry should be along in a minute!
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

As harry mentioned,
Dont forget that if you are messing with the suspension on a Xantia, if you havent got it properly supported and you do something that releases the sphere pressure or lower the suspension, it will crush you like a bug,
Make sure you use the handbrake, put the car in gear, and use axle stands or ramps and never rely on just a hydraulic jack,
I like to keep a spare wheel under the subframe beside me when i'm working on my car in addition to axle stands and my hydraulic jack just in case!
alun
My Cars:

Post by alun »

thanks harry and mosser,
i`ll order the height correction valve and let you know the outcome.
many thanks again[:)]
mucky

Post by mucky »

you can buy just the clamp and arm. I just got one for the back. Its less than £20 and easy to fit. When you tighten it up make sure you have the car set at the right ride height.