Crankshaft leaking oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
contisg
Posts: 5
Joined: 29 Jun 2024, 11:59
x 1

Crankshaft leaking oil

Unread post by contisg »

My car is a 2016 Citroen C4 Picasso MK2 1.6 Bluehdi with EAT6 transmission.. Oil have been leaking out of the crankshaft oil seal (Timing belt/oil pump side), and I have already got a new seal, and before I replace it, I believe I need to run through the same procedure for timing belt, ie, lock the cam, and the crank, but is there any other things I should take note of? and is there a flywheel lock pin?
User avatar
mickthemaverick
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 21081
Joined: 11 May 2019, 17:56
x 8091

Re: Crankshaft leaking oil

Unread post by mickthemaverick »

There are lots of videos on Youtube showing how to do this job and a quick search will find your answers
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
shtu
(Donor 2023)
Posts: 256
Joined: 09 Dec 2023, 16:19
x 76

Re: Crankshaft leaking oil

Unread post by shtu »

With the work planned, consider replacing the timing belt, tensioner, rollers and water pump. It's almost no additional work to do, minimal parts cost, and at nearly 10 years old it's due fairly soon anyway.

Flywheel lock pin - yes. The locking tool sets are about £6.
contisg
Posts: 5
Joined: 29 Jun 2024, 11:59
x 1

Re: Crankshaft leaking oil

Unread post by contisg »

Thanks all for the input.. Work done.. Seal replaced..

Didn't replace the timing belt though, because the belt along with tensioner and roller and water pump have been replaced about 2 weeks +- prior to the leak..

I followed a youtube instruction put up by NTN (They're all the same, but the one mention by NTN which I thought was important was to turn the crank 6 times to check that all pulley are in it's right position) and followed suggestion by other youtuber we can use bolts instate of the specific tools, and I use a combination of bolts and drill bits.. and didn't look for the flywheel locking pin and just position the crank TDC, insert the bolts and drill bits in all 3 pulley making sure all can be inserted without any resistance, then proceed to remove the crankshaft pulley, and I actually bought a good quality gear puller which I found out I didn't need at all, because the crankshaft sprocket pulley slides out smoothly by hand, and was worry about the challenge in getting the seal out because I didn't have the specific tool, but realized it pops out easily and there was a lot of room at the lip for me to insert a small screw driver..

The entire task is surprisingly easy and whatever difficulties I have faced which is a lot are skill issue (DIYer).. ie, took me like 5 hours to put the belt on, and when the moment I felt I was already at my breaking point, it just slide in nicely and then I realized, I need to apply more muscle to stretch the belt tight when matching the belt tooth to the sprockets, apart from that, got stuck for about 2 hours (combined) locating belt cover screws where one was hidden under the serpentine belt tensioner, and I also at first didn't reset the tensioner spring which I believe I need to..