Why I hate the Xsara Mk2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Why I hate the Xsara Mk2

Post by Jon »

As some of you may know, I’ve recently sold my ZX Aura TD to a member of this Forum (lets hope he loves it like I did) and bought a Xsara Mk2 LX HDi 90 BHP.
There were lots of good and bad reasons for this swap.
1)The ZX was 11 years old and was nudging 150,000 miles. I do about 830 miles a week, and the poor old ZX was adding another 3200 miles if not more most months. It was far from unreliable, but I’d spent several “happy” weekends this year doing jobs like the subframe mounts, the clutch, and the radiator… oh and I upgraded the front brakes to Berlingo ones. I also did the heater panel bulbs and lots of sundry fiddly stuff. It goes without saying that the ZX never let me down, I religiously serviced it, and I was very fond of it. In fact, a bit too fond. After Mike drove it away I sort of collapsed on my kitchen floor like a child without its favourite toy. You can become just a bit too attached I suppose. But when you’ve put on 80,000 miles in 3 years in an old car, and you still enjoy driving it, and it’s never let you down I suppose its understandable.
2)So, I decided that I needed something newer, with lower miles, and with better “safety”. I looked at a few cars, yes Ok they were all Citroens, and narrowed my choice down to the Xsara Mk2 and the C5 HDi. I put my essential criteria into the mix (can I use it for going to the Council tip, is it good on diesel, is it reliable, does it have aircon) and decided that the Xsara Mk2 HDi was the very thing. It was ZX based, its 3 *** NCAP rated, none of those pesky non-LHM hydraulics! So I searched for various late model Xsara Hdi’s, and found that South Wales seemed to be cheaper. Off to sunny Bridgend where I found a late 2000 Xsara Mk2 HDi 90 LX with a warranted 8340 miles from new (owned by old boy of 78), aircon, 15” wheels, lots of nice electric things, and I bid it down to below book, complete with one years warranty and a set of Citroen mats.
So now I have my lovely Xsara. Despite being 3.5 years old it stills smells new, its done under 10,000 miles and it’s already had 3 oil and filter changes because the old fella was particular about that sort of thing. Every used car buyers dream!
And do you know what? I loathe it.
All of the fluidity of the ZX handling has gone, in its place is something heavy and wooden, in fact with 195/15 tyres I say its over-tyred, hell, the ZX 16V had the same combo and that had 155BHP, not 90BHP! It rumbles over any surface.
The driver’s seat has the same wooden feel, after a couple of hours I have a pain in my backside.
Its 2 BHP down on the ZX but it feels like 20. The throttle is dead and requires constant input. The gearshift is slower than the ZX, the clutch is, well a clutch and nothing more.
This car is boring me to death after 2 weeks.
There are some nice things; I like the RDS radio, the aircon and the remote locking. But apart from that its like Citroen decided to make Xsara 2 some sort of mini BMW, harsh ride, hard seats, uninvolved.
I’ve tried to like it. I’ve even bought a Dragon tuning box to increase the power! But there’s no soul and no enjoyment, and, in 20 years of Citroen ownership, this is the one that I dislike the most.
So, if anyone wants a Mk2 Xsara HDi in silver, with just 9500 miles, loaded up with aircon, 15” wheels, front fogs, electric windows & mirrors, RDS radio/cass, remote locking, ABS, rear discs etc etc etc drop me a line. ZX Volcane TD at several grand less is quicker and more involving, something this Xsara will never be. [V]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

You think the seats in a Mk2 Xsara are hard! I really cannot believe that, theres bags of give in them. If you think they're hard, try a late Focus Ghia - I've sat on concrete with more give than those things! All modern cars have a firm ride compared to those built 10 years ago, almost without exception. Again, the Focus is a prime example - thunders over bumps. It did, however, handle very well.
I know how you feel, I swapped my Xantia for a Focus and despite really wanting to like it, and thinking there was something wrong with me becuase everyone else rates the Focus and I didn't, I decided I couldn't live with the fuel consumption (28mpg) and the lack of comfort.
For ride and comfort it has to be a big car for me, none of the medium hatches do it as well as the bigger cars. I wanted a C5 but there were no examples that engaged me, the 2.0 HDi 110 is underpowered and the 2.2 is thirsty and more expensive to maintain. I looked at a late Xantia HDi but nice though it was, the interior felt dated compared to the Focus. Ended up buying a 2002 Mondeo TDCi 130 Zetec and I absolutely love it - its comfortable, the ride is pretty good, it handles beautifully with loads of feedback and its engaging to drive - the steering and brakes have loads of feel and to top it all the thing absolutely flies and still returns 45mpg.
I love Citroens, and I probably always will but sometimes they are just not worth accepting their shortcomings when there are cars out there that better suited my wants/needs.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

i owned a mk1 mondeo si for a while. It was perfectly comfortable for me. Took me a month to find the seat position but then it was like heavon. Ive owned my zx 16v for 2.5 years and its always been bad. Seat is useless, too slanted back, wheel is too far away, pedals awful, seats too high etc. Ride is about the same between them but my next car im going to pay far more attention to seating position etc as afterall, if youre not comfortable in a car its going to annoy you straight away before you even take other niggles into account
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Jon
We have ridden occasionally in a friend's Picasso, and found the seats downright uncomfortable and the HDi engine quite noisy - give me a ZX or Dyane any day for comfort and handling. We've just done 2500 miles around Europe in the Dyane in total comfort.
A good decision to get a ZX again! You do not <b>need</b> aircon in the UK.
Darren
Could you not adjust the seat back and steering column to suit yourself? You do not want the wheel too near you if it has a whoopee cushion in it - you will be injured if it ever goes off.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have owned both ZX and now 2 Xsara's (both VTR) got to say all 3 better than the wifes old Focus. Talk about back ache!!. Even she didn't like driving after about an hour at the most. As for the Xsara both Mk1's and very comfy (spelling) It may be the seats are a little more shaped then the older ZX TD but they grip my bum good. As for the ride, feels about the same but it is a little slower throught the bends but hey no turbo and 300cc's less. May be Jon should have gone for the VTR HDi Xsara. Had alook and then test drive in a red one loaded up with all the bits only a month ago. Went like a rocket and looked the part aswell. Only £85000 that week end as on sale '52'plate at a Citroen dealer. But as you may have seen the wife wants me in a C2 VTR in a couple of years. I still think that the Mk2 has the wrong head lights, the wrap around ones like the Mk1 were alot sexier.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

uhn113x: Problem is the seat in its most vertical position is still really slanted back. The passenger seat goes a bit more upright so maybe its just my seat. I used to have the seat in my visa practically dead upright. The wheel in the zx only adjusts up and down, my old mondeo it adjusted for reach as well. Also the zx seat is far too high and being 6'3 means its a struggle getting my legs under the wheel. A standard visa has more room for me! :) No airbag as its a 93 one
£85,000 for a xsara, blimey! :D
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

I agree with you Jon. My mum's Xsara MK2 is the absolute worst car I have ever driven and I driven a few 80s Fords! I am always whinging about it on here.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Jon, all your comments are correct. Puting it in a simple way, ZX was overall a beter car. Solid, balanced.
The same can be said to the comparison between Xantia mk2 and C5 mk1.
How about a Xantia mk2 Hdi 110 (not 90Hp)? I have one and can guarantee you it is superb!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thought it was because I was a fat ba$£%rd, that the seats were uncomfy, Bro in laws s reg td estate is fine up to about 70 miles then it feels like you have been in that position for weeks!
Jon, I know that sick feeling when you get rid of an ultra reliable/comfy/well looked after car.(only got rid of it to get better fuel consumption) Its worse when the car was sold to a relative and its been sat in a damp lockup for 10 months slowly dying and perishing, Have offered to have it back to get it gleaming/MOT'd again, But keeps saying there going to do it soon.
Got to go i'm getting cranky again[:(!]
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Had my ZXTD Volcane for the last 7 years/100000 mile and just bought a Xantia 2.1td.The xantia is not a patch on my ZX.The Volcane is still sat on the drive waiting for me to put it on Ebay or scrap/break it.Just can't bring myself to do it.They don't make em like they used to
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Xantia Mk2 Exclusive seats are more comfortable than any ZX model, any C5, and most Mercedes's ones.
The Xantia suspension is far more comfortable than any ZX as well.
In terms of 'almost everything', the Xantia Exclisive Mk2 is also superior. Who says some different is based on unparcial evaluations like the man who has the uggliest woman on earth and thinks she is the most beautiful one.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Looks like you need to scour ebay for a base car to build your ultimate ZX, there are a few vehicles I have happened to own twice, usually motorcycles, and I was generally disappointed the second time around, the old rose tinted specs, this does not however apply to my citroen cars which still give me immense pleasure.
Stewart
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

This is easy,
just get rid of your crappy poogoes wearing doublechevrons and buy a nice CX2500 GTi Turbo, or GS/DS to drive. You'll never go back to the modern mediocrity [}:)] [:o)] [:D] [8)] [:p]
seeya,
Shane L.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

You do not <b>need</b> aircon in the UK.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes you do! I wouldn't have another car without it. It's graet on hot days, no more having to listen to other peoples music. And it's great in the wet for demisting the windows, especially on something the size of a Xantia estate.
Back to subject.
Does this Xsara have after market alloys? I ask because we recently took over one at work which has and the ride is terrible, not only that but it's cornering on anything other than race track smooth roads is bordering on dangerous.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I drive a 2.0 HDI 110 C5 (With a PowerBox) and think it's superb. Okay, the rear suspension is still a bit noisy even though it has had complete replacement. The engine is a complete joy to drive (now) but it wasn't bad before the box was added.
The handling is good, maybe not as sharp as the Mondeo but I like it. Certainly the handling is as good or better than the Mk1 Xsara.
I also loved the Xsara, but all the extra electrics, bigger seats and power of the C5 caught my attention.
I have also driven a Mk2 Xsara HDI 110, boy was that a quick car. I didn't think the ride was any worse than the Mk1 that I had at the time. The Mk2 had standard wheels, I don't remember if alloy or not.
Dad has a Picasso HDI 90, its not fast by any measure, but it is certanly adequate. I guess your performance problems could be cos your Xsara needs some hard driving to clear its throat, maybe a shot of injector cleaner and some Shell diesel would help?
If I couldn't have a C5, I'd certainly think about the Xsara, but only with the 110 engine.
True, the Xsara and the C5 aren't exciting drivers cars, but when it comes to nice cars that are easy to live with and like, I give them 10 out of 10.
Look at the Xsara and C5 bumpers, they are in 4 pieces, if some **** scrapes a bit of it in the car park, it costs a few quid to replace. My Xsara got a scrape on a corner piece of bumper, it cost £25 for the bumper and the dealer painted it free of charge the following week because they had to paint another silver car.
If I was to change my car today, I would choose another C5 110, okay, the speakers, cruise control and power box will need moving, but that would be my choice. In fact, I can't find another car under £40k that I would prefer.