406 1.9td head gasket???1996

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robhandlefrog

406 1.9td head gasket???1996

Post by robhandlefrog »

AFTER OWNING MY VEHICLE FOR A YEAR OF NO PROBS I HAVE NOTICED THICK BLACK OIL IN MY WATERSYSTEM NOT A LITTLE BUT LOT !!! I SUSPECTED HEAD GASKET. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN CAUSE THIS.
THANKS ROB
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

sounds like head gasket to me,
Its not too difficult a job to do so i'd say get stuck in!, if your not going to skim the head you could probably do it in a weekend, but its probably best to get a check skim done just for peace of mind, costs about £25 and should take 24 hours for most places to do
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hold on a mo....
When the Head Gasket lets go, you usually get brown oily gunk in the header tank (if at all as these engines tend not to put oil in the water when the HG goes). If the oil is black, it might mean the oil cooler has let go - try taking the water pipes off it and starting the engine to see if any oil comes out of the stubs.
will16v
My Cars:

Post by will16v »

I just did head gasket on my 306 as had oil in radiator etc, and realised temp was getting a bit too warm - found i had head gasket from a 406 td on there - some cheapskate had also tried to skim the head - was warped badly - but got it all done - and runs fine now - filled up the radiator, and water peed strait out - need new bottom hose as i snapped one of the clips when taking it off...mmm nice
But couldn't work out why i had oil in the water, but no water in the oil...was deffo head gasket though - mine was leaking all the way down the back of the engine...could see it when i got the head off
oil coouler was ok...