not sure footed driving xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zorgman
My Cars:

not sure footed driving xantia

Post by zorgman »

dont know how to describe this but here goes
my old xantia was what ill describe as sure footed thta you could sit back and enjoy the ride my new 95 xantia i seem to have to "drive the car" it just doesnt feel right all new correct spheres new drop links tyre pressures correct
any thoghts on this one then if i leave go of the sterring wheel it drives in a stright line but i dont know its just not right as on a 100 drive i feel knakred
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Defo know what you're trying to explain :
Some cars just drives along very relaxing, and you only need to help now and then.
Other cars needs constant corrections & attention, really exhausting to drive.
1) check the rear suspension arm pivot bearings. When worn they can "drive" the car (& you) nuts.
2) check the front suspension for any wear clearances : lower swiveljoints & steering ball links.
3) check the front steering alignment. Should have nil to 0'25" (very little !) toe-out.
4) try swap front/rear tyres, as feathering surface wear may be a problem.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does it feel the same when you steer to left and to right? If the tracking has been adjusted from one side only it will feel different from side to side. You can roughly check by putting a mark on the top of the steering wheel when straight ahead and then see if the wheel turns to each side by the same amount.
Jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

A 74 honda SL and you are worried about your <i>car's</i> handling?:D]
Have you by any chance got low-profile tyres and big alloys?-these can make any car uncomfortable and harder to drive.
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

good info here for me here ill do all the checks in morn.
74 sl125 now a 185
this doesnt carry me and family about tho wish it did hi hi
its most frustrating finding these faults its one of them things where u go on and on trying to find fault then when u do its DO'h (home simpson voice)
laurie
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I had a similar problem with my Xantia and it turned out to be that the tyres were wrong, as in, the wrong compound, harder than it should have been. The car was designed to be run with Michelin tyres. The ones on my car were Tigar or something, as soon as I changed to Michelin the car changed completely. Michelin tyres are a softer compound and the others a harder more'plasticy' compound, therefore not gripping the road as they should and giving more wheel spins.
Paul
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Directional tyres can be fun too if someone in their infinite wisdom does a tyre rotation diagonally like they used to for the old crossply tyres.
I know someone who bought a new Korean throwaway (Hyundies or Daypoo)and the dealer rotated the tyres at the routine service and then spent weeks trying to figure why it was floating all over the road.
Alan S
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

looking at the tyres ive got 2 brands on the front even tho theve got good tread im off to the tyre place on tues get them changed ill report back on the effect
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

I have the same problem Zorgman. If I'm on the motorway or on a long journey I get really tired and I also find myself correcting the steering a lot especially if I have got a bit of weight in the car (return journey from calais springs to mind mmmm beer). Do you find yourself correcting the steering? I would like to get to the bottom of this problem as well. I have also changed all my spheres but I haven't done the drop link's yet do these cause the car to drift?
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Hi,
I would agree tyres and steering alignment first. I had two front tyres changed last year, they were a budget tyre called Millenium.
I knew I had a problem as the noise was unbelievable, I then found that the handling on car changed completely (problems you have been describing).
Good Luck
Howie...
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

The tyres are Michelin Energy so they are o.k. It also feels like the front wheel's wobble (side to side) on large bumps if that makes sense. As for the aligment the car run's in a dead straight line and it doesn't pull on the steering or drift if you let go.
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

well heres one im trying.
got a new digi pressure gauge and checked it with a brand new pcl gauge both the same and i started at 30psi and am now running car at 38psi (fronts)what a difference its made cars smoother and not tiresome to drive tho i am watching the tread pattern very closly to see if anything dodgy going on it might also stop ythe edges form wearing away as this was one thing im not happy about loads of tread apart from the outer.
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

Hi
Check all your tyre sizes. I think they should be 185? If you have mismatched tyres your suspension will not understand what is going on? A long shot but worth looking at? Otherwise.... do you know the history of this car....accident damaged etc? Could it have a problem in straight line driving?