Whistling non-turbo Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MrXantia
My Cars:

Whistling non-turbo Xantia

Post by MrXantia »

My otherwise lovely 1.8 16V 1998 Xantia has begun whistling like an old Turbo when I put the pedal to the floor. It is also present in moderate accellerations. It seems to get worse. Could it be a little hole in the exhaust??? Or worse, a blown gasket somewhere? It's only in the first 3 gears I hear it, but that is probably just because of the torque is higher there.
Maybe I should let it be. Afterall, it's pretty cool with a turbo in a 1.8 petrol [:D]
Lars
stephen burch
My Cars:

Post by stephen burch »

I had an old Datsun Sunny that whistled under hard acceleration. I reckon it must have been the alternator bearings, though it was quiet on tickover.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Possibly a leaking or split hose on the intake side i would have thought, I would check all plastic pipework first between the air box and the inlet manifold.
A mate once had a AXGT that whistled once the 2nd barel of the carb was open, was a leak in the pipe where it joined the carb.....he just left it and told everyone that the "Sportif" model was a limited edition turbo, and most of the boy racers beleived him.
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Thanks VLL
Sounds right. I will check that.
Rgds, Lars