plastic trim under the engine!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

espzetec

plastic trim under the engine!

Post by espzetec »

right, im going to replace the accumulator sphere. dfo i do this from under the car or from above?
I cant gain access to the enigine from below as there is a plastic trim fixed in place that covers the whole underside of the engine bay. is this normal as i have never seen this on other xantias. Its also have a scrape by the looks of it and is sagging down, nearly touching the road. or maybe its the weight of all the oily gunge on the surface of it?? i think i may have an oil leak? bottom half of the engine block is very very grimey?
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Yes, it's normal. Try not to break it because new ones can be quite expensive.
Mine got a fit of the sags a few years ago - in fact it had been scraping the ground for quite a while before I discovered it. Fortunately I only needed a partial replacement, which wasn't too bad.
Best of luck with the job!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The plastic trim contains sound-deadening material and was fitted to quite a lot of diesels - it's also useful for keeping the prying eyes of MOT inspectors blindfolder to the goings-on under the engine/gearbox.
The plastic gets brittle and breaks up around the bolt holes, this together with the possible weight of oil spills/leaks is the reason why they droop.
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I left my bottom engine cover off for a trip to Spain last winter - mainly because it was too cold here to mess about putting it back on. When eventually I did replace it, I found the bottoms of the wheel liners damaged and torn. I've replaced the five nuts and two bolts with quick release wing nuts.