crunching gears

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

espzetec

crunching gears

Post by espzetec »

i sometimes find the gear change harch in my xantia. its only got 134k on the clock. I know the accululator sphere is knackered (ticks every 1 second its that bad!), so could this be anything do with the problem? ie poor opertaion of the clutch? i presumet he clutch is hydrolically controlled aswell as brakes? the brakes i know have been affected by the speher being rubbish.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Your 'accululator sphere' has nowt to do with the clutch, but you should replace it (£20) before return pipes start blowing off and leaving your car sitting in a green puddle! [:(]
What do you mean by 'harch'? Does it go into reverse OK when standing? If not, does the clutch need adjusting?
If the gearchange is just stiff, have you tried lubricating the linkage?
Oh yes, what car are we talking about?
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the brakes i know have been affected by the speher being rubbish.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Fer cryin out loud, how many chances are you expecting to get to fix this?
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

its a 1.9td. sometimes it crunches into reverse. when i change gear at higher revs its crunches unless i hold the clutch down for about a second. i cant just throw it into the next gear.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Your 1.9TD has a cable operated clutch.Its not hydraulic. Its possible to adjust it if your car is the before 1997 type, theres a 10mm and 13mm nut on the end of the cable at the gearbox. If adjustment does not help, maybe a new clutch is required.
I hope that you are going to change that accumulator ASAP. It sounds worrying!
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

how long does it take for one to arrive from this web site? im about to order one but am will not pay the £12 for next day delivery.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Well, it takes about 5 days to Australia if that's any help...[:D][:D][:D][8D][8D][8D]
Alan S [}:)][;)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

£12 is for delivery by 12 noon next day. Anytime next day is £7.95. Where abouts are you in the Country? There might be a GSF branch near you thus saving carriage cost.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

im in birmingham mate.
i notice there is a warehouse in birmingham near the M6? can i get parts from there? also a sphere removal tool?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Theres one branch at Smethwick, then the main warehouse which is at Fort Parkway just off Junc 5 of the M6. Both stock the accumlator you need, N45304.
Sorry, no sphere tools at Birmingham though right now.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

WHAT ABOUT SMETHWICK?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Why not use the resources at your disposal here? You will find lots of hints and tips about removing spheres without the correct tool. Try the BX diy site which is linked to useful links or searching for sphere removal on this site.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interestingly from excerpts from the BX manual on Bob Smith's site it would seem that the Citroen sphere removal tool is a large chain wrench with a double chain!
Jeremy