dead turbo ?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

woody-som

dead turbo ?

Post by woody-som »

I hope someone can tellme if my turbo charger has died, or something else to blame.
a few weeks ago, whilst driving, I heard a noise that sounded like a stick was stuck rubbing against the wheel, well living in the country I didn't take much notice, and it only lasted for 30 seconds or so. Anyway, ever since, the car doesn't appear to have any turbo kick.
I use to be able to feel the turbo kick-in at around the 2000rpm, but nothing. the car still drives well, and doesn't sound any different.
Is it the turbo, or something else, and if its the turbo, do i really need to bother getting it fixed (any ideas on price).
thanks in advance
Chris
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

a good idea is to check the turbo system for leaks ie hoses to the intercooler manifold and turbo its possible it may just be a split hose or a seal .the turbos on the disels are pretty bomb proof new turbo is about £300 on an exchange basis
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Check the pipe going from the fuel injection pump to to the intercooler - I had a small hole at the back of this pipe just under the intercooler and it meant there was no turbo kick at all - this pipe gets pressurised when the turbo is in operation and the pump detects the pressure and knows to put more fuel in- with the hole the engine simply didn't know to put more fuel in.
Regards
Michael
woody-som

Post by woody-som »

thanks guys.
i'll have a good look around on sunday.
I've only had the car 3 months, bought from a dealer, so guess if its anything major, he'll have to fix it according to another thread on the conrod issue under the sale of goods act (seems like making a fuss over nothing though)
woody-som

Post by woody-som »

well, i think i've found the problem.
The inlet/exhaust manifold gasket has blown AFAIK. There is a gap in the gasket as you stand at the front and look to the left side of the engine, between the two input connections.
Turbo is OK, as another thread gave a simple way to test it. Hold the big pipe on the intercooler, and rev the engine, the pipe expands, so the turbo does work, just the output pressure is leaking somewhere.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I had a grinding noise from the turbo in my Xantia when going around a corner. Pulled up in a layby and noticed that the oil level was rather low !
It hadn't had any oil in the turbo at that particular moment.
A few weeks later, it had lots of oil in it, and for a moment I resembled an F1 car when the oil leaked out into the exhaust causing large white-smoke clouds ...
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

An old Astra of mine had the turbo blow up. Just got slower over about a week un till nothing more than a non Turbo model. Cost £30 (1994) from a breakers and a saturday morning to mess about. When on for another 60K befor selling on.