Xantia V6 clonking please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

louis1
My Cars:

Xantia V6 clonking please help

Post by louis1 »

For the last couple of months the car has been clonking when going over speed humps or even on a bumby road. The noise is more of a knocking noise then a clonk and sound like it is coming from the front left wheel area,i have had a look and a pull underneath but can not find anything, i have been to an exhaust place and had it in the air the exhaust is not hitting anything, they advised me to go to the main daeler so i did. They tell me they can not find anything wrong, so i asked to speak with the mechanic who checked my car (who was a grumpy git) he told be there is nothing loose, broken or out of place. He told be to change the front sphere's because this could be the noise, or it could be where the car has done 96.000 miles that there is very little wear in every suspension joint which adds up to a knocking noise, i find all of this hard to beleive, some one has mentioned drop down links to me, but how do i check them? so if you have any ideas please help. BTW I changed the two front sphere's today and it has made no difference to the noise.
Thanks Louis
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sounds like drop links.Mine is doing the same.I `sose the V6`s are the same?Do a search for droplinks under me,NP.I discussed this last week with some one,how to check etc.Came to the conclusion that mine need doing.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Louis
Neil is right - drop links can make a terrible noise even if they have no discernible wear. If only one side is worn, the noise is usually louder when you have a front-seat passenger.

Spheres (not sphere's[}:)]) <b>cannot</b> make a noise - the only moving part is a flexible diaphragm! As you see, main dealers are places to avoid, as are 'exhaust places'. The mechanic was probably grumpy because he was wondering whether he should be a mechanic at all, or just give up. [:D]
Dunno about Xantiae, but drop links are easy to change on BX and ZX - wheel off and just 2 nuts
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Thanks for all the advice i will change them as soon as possible in the next few days.
Thanks Louis
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

Managed to change the drop down links today, on my ones the rubber was split on both of them. The problem is it still makes the knocking noise I have also noticed the bigger the bump the loader the clonk is (and sometimes it is very load), the car was also MOT'd 4 weeks ago and it passed, so i 'spose there can't be anything that major wrong with the car, but it never used to clonk so i want to sort it out. Where do I go from here?
Thanks Louis
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hmmm.....
If the drop link boots were split they needed changing, anyway.
I assume that 'load' means 'loud'? If you can isolate the clonk to one side, I would suggest then checking everything on that side - wishbone bushes, top strut mounting, bottom ball joint, even the driveshaft.
It may help to disconnect the bottom ball joint so the wishbone is free - dunno how it is constructed on a Xant - the BX is a swine to remove, the GSA easy.
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

I will have a good poke around sunday if whether is ok, also my stop light lakes a long time (15 seconds) to go out when started in the morning, any ideas? how many LHM filter are there on the car and where are they? i havge cleaner two inside the LHM tank.
Thanks Louis