Exhaust Problem on D Turbo

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwailo

Exhaust Problem on D Turbo

Post by gwailo »

Over the last few weeks my car has developed at exhaust leak, I am told by my local garage it is from the "cat". I have looked on the German & Swedish online shop but cannot find the required part. Can anyone tell me if DTurbos really do have cats or is it just the middle silencer box?
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

yes,from about `96 or `97 maybe earlier,catalistst were put on diesels to help with emisions. but before you order your cat and spend £130+ make sure the ring between the manifold and cat isn't worn instead, you can usually tell just if there is any movement in the springs that hold them together. this bit can be ordered from citroen for about £15.
the same thing happened to someone i know, he went to bodge fit and they sed it needed a cat,he bought one, brought the car to me and upon remomoving i found the sealing ring was worn and the cat was in perfect conditon. thats my opinion.
gwailo

Post by gwailo »

can anyone tell me from the german and swedish website what is the part number of the catalyst?
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

I had the cat in my 98’ Dturbo cut out a year and half ago. It had been rattling like a good’un since the original engine exploded back 2002 and shock the living daylights out of it. They cut the cat box open removed the ‘brick’ and welded it back together.
The cars don’t need the cat to pass an MOT, if I were you I would either have your cat unit patched or replaced it with a straight bit of pipe.
gwailo

Post by gwailo »

Thanks for your replies, I have just jacked up the car and has a good look at the exhuast system and see that at the point just to the rear of the car unit itself, the whole pipe has just broken away, and is just lose at the end and in the clamp to the middle silencer at the other. As far as I can see the cat is part of a single piece that comprises of the downpipe as well running straight up to the manifold.
I would like to ask if I would just need to order the standard downpipe from G&S which is bout 25quid and if that would stretch the distance from the manifold all the way to the middle silencer box. Getting rid of the cat would be good, I am not sure of the regulation with cats on diesels but chriswales6 recommends getting rid anyway.
Appreciate all your comments.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

If you have a look on the exhaust sction of somewhere like www.buypartsby.co.uk you can see diagrams and compare part numbers. Cant see why a standard downpipe wont fit though, mine doesnt have a catalyst (luckily) and the standard downpipe goes from manifold to first silencer box.