Anyone want a brand new ignition switch??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phil02

Anyone want a brand new ignition switch??

Post by phil02 »

ARGH! Stressy time...actually, no, I'm OK cos it means I get at least SOME of my hard-earned money back...[:(]
As recommended here and by my local mechanic I bought a new ignition switch plus door/boot locks to cure the intermittent failure of the car to start when the key was turned, resulting in the solenoid clicking but no motor action.
A new ignition switch DIDN'T FIX IT! It had already been back to the mechanic for free (nice guy) and this helped a great deal but didn't cure it - he found a resistance in the switch, so he said!
So I have put the old ignition switch back in, put the old drivers door lock back in (that's the last time I'm overly optimistic!) and the whole brand spanking new set, completely packaged and clean as bought from GSF, will hopefully get returned if they will accept it (fingers crossed).
If they don't accept a return, anyone here want an ignition and door lock set for a post-1992 Citroen AX? £50 + p&p, as I can't afford to lose much on this if I can help it, being a poor student! [;)]
Failing that, off to eBay. I'm going to live with the problem for now as the garage managed to get it down to a fairly rare occurance so it's not that noticeable now.
Thanks for all your help on this problem anyway those of you who contributed, sorry for taking up your time!
Cheers
Phil
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As recommended here and by my local mechanic I bought a new ignition switch plus door/boot locks to cure the intermittent failure of the car to start when the key was turned, resulting in the solenoid clicking but no motor action.
A new ignition switch DIDN'T FIX IT!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It wouldn't, Phil. If the solenoid was clicking, the switch is working - the fault is with the starter or even the battery.
phil02

Post by phil02 »

Yes, I was sceptical too, but the solenoid is new and a new battery didn't make any difference either. I was told by the garage that the resistance in the switch was allowing some, but not all of the current through to the starter - enough to engage the solenoid, but not enough to turn the motor.
He tinkered with the switch & this has made it a lot better, so it had to be something along those lines...but anyway, it's acceptable now so I'm not going to risk making it worse again by fiddling more!
Cheers
Phil
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Was or is there an alarm/immobiliser anywhere in between switch and ignition? As they age they make reliable starting a more and more "interesting" occurrence.
phil02

Post by phil02 »

That's interesting - didn't think of that! As a matter of fact, yes, it did used to have an alarm installed - the siren was still mounted under the bonnet (Sparkrite, if that's a good make or not?) when I got the car and several dodgy-looking bits of wire went into the bulkhead and protruded from the battery and the siren - cut off, so the system presumably failed at some point. Looked like a cheap DIY job.
I removed most of the detritus - the only bits left are two bits of cut-off wire that lead from nowhere into the bulkhead, where they disappear and are still I assume attached to something as they won't come out. Never bothered to find out where they went, but I can't see from a quick look where they lead. No odd-looking items in the fusebox, anyway.
Dunno if it had an immobilisor, but it certainly doesn't now, at least not functioning - I have no remote or special key for it.
I'll have a play around tomorrow and see, but as long as the problem doesn't become serious again I'm content to leave it for now, but thanks for the suggestion - something to check if it gives trouble again.
Many thanks
Phil
(Oh, and GSF kindly swayed their "no returns on electrical goods" for me - I am impressed and gratified that some companies still like to work for their customers!)