Xantia: Water in the footwells.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Xantia: Water in the footwells.

Post by Kowalski »

I noticed that my passenger side carpets were a little damp, so I had a look underneath them and the rear footwell had a bit of a swimming pool in the bottom of it, so I sponged it out.
I have no sunroof, I've poured watering cans full of water over the windscreen, doors and tailgate but still I can't find where the water is coming from. The aircon drain and the drains for the air intake both appear to be clear, I've still got wet carpets and am running short of ideas.
Any ideas where this water could be coming from?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

If it is an estate then take the carpeted section off the inside of the tailgate and you will see where the water comes from.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, when I had the same problem as you, i ventually found out that water was getting in through where the windscreen glass bonded to the windscreen frame at the bottom, you will have to remove the plastic scuttle panel and run silicone up underneath where the glass joins the frame. My car in the past had a new windscreen fitted and hadn't boded properly and thats why the water ingressed.
Paul
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Its a hatchback, and the plastic scuttle around the windscreen does have a couple of cracks in it.
Does this plastic scuttle come off easilly without having to take of wiper arms etc?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

check the suttle panel drainage holes, if these get blocked then water backs up and runs down the heater, exiting all over the passangers footwell
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

Just had exactly the same problem this morning ! Last night car was fine, this morning about AN INCH of water in the passenger footwell - it's like a pond, there must be over a gallon of it ! Never done it before, will have to go searching for the source of this new river .....
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

wiper have to come off, easy job, then carefully remove the scuttle panel, use a stanley knife or similar to cut the seal, once you have sealed under the windscreen, put the scuttle panel back, BUT don't stick it back on, just incase you need to put more sealant on.
Paul
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

Check the plastic scuttle panel is properly bonded to the windscreen. If it isn't, water can run down the glass under it and drip into the heater air intake.....
(I found this out after having the windscreen replaced on a '94 VSX. The 'fitter' put the scuttle back using the old sealant - you could see the drips when you poured water on the screen)
Alan
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Same prob on mine.Comes in the heater intake once the scuttle panel has become unstuck.