Few q's with regards to scavenging - Xantia wise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Few q's with regards to scavenging - Xantia wise

Post by adzbaby »

I have a scrapped 1.9 td Xantia m plate 94 (citroen badge on front grille), which I bought to have the g'box out. The car was in perfect working order apart form a squashed rear end ;). I am in the process of nicking bits of this for my working L reg 1.9 td Xantia LX, citroen badge on bonnet.
It has been quite interesting seeing the slight differences between the two cars. I want to take the seats out of the scrap car and replace them with mine. I think the m reg has got the pre tensioner feature on the front seats, they're wired up, mine are not. Is it ok to to do a straight forward swap over?
Also, does anyone know if the 94 l reg xantia had the same looms as the m reg one, i.e is the same wiring present in the l reg to the m reg? Cause I wanted to know whether I could take the bumper spotlights of the m reg and fit them in mine? Also whether it is possible ( I think v.unlikely) to take the steering wheel with the airbag off the m reg and install it in the l reg? Even if the air bag wiring and controls aren't present in the l reg it is safe to put the steering wheel on without the air bag wired up, can it still activate (and go off when I am cruising down the motorway ;)) cause my steering wheel is very shabby!!?
and there's more...
Any advice on removal of other parts and storage methods? For example will the spheres be ok to remove, once the hydraulics are depressurised, and to stick in the shed?
And finally, just a thought, can the front window motors be removed from the front doors and 'bodged' to operate the manual winding rear windows i have? Is there wiring in the rear doors to plug motors into? Are the systems between the front and back compatible?
Any advice, warning are very welcome. ( I have a feeling someone is going to shout at me!!)
Cheers.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My goodness how you ask ... [:D][:D]
As both cars are the '94 - i.e. the first generation ("pre-facelift/pre-98"), they should in fact be exactly the same cars - apart from the trim level, which means how many "goodies" are factory fitted to each car.
Parts of the wiring loom are dedicated to the "goodies" fitted, which means the rear doors rarely are wired up for electric winders. The loom is commonly run all the way from the fuse/junction box, to the doors, via the center box.
It is of course an exact copy of the front door circuit.
Donno on the safety goodies. These are not that funny to mess about with, if they go off by connecting to a live wire ...
Car safety pyro-dingies are no playtoys [B)]
Unless you need the spheres very soon, I would not stock these, as they constantly looses pressure by diffusion, meaning after 5-6 years they are in fact useless as stock item ...
Like a good tyre inflated for stock, then after 3 years finding this fine tyre ...
What should you save and stock ?
If you ask MY wife, then ... [B)][B)]
If you ask me : a few extra complete cars [:D][:D]
Donno really, but anything that fits in a couple of boxes in a dry room.
Brake calipers - (all 4)
Supension cylinders -
height correctors -
pump & regulator
Rear suspension arms complete -
Front wheel hubs complete (incl triangle arm)
Front headlamps & rear lamp clusters
interior lights
relays from junction boxes
front bumper, wings, doors (if spotless)
Get 4 good wheels galvanised for winter tyres -
Or do as many other of the gang do here :
kindly offer the surplus to other owners [^]
- which in fact ensures a quite good flow of cheap spares pretty much in time you need these ...[:p]
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

floggin the bits you dont need could very well pay for the scrap car, if every thing works,especialy the hydrualic bits. keep the calipers for sure coz the hand brake springs somtimes go rusty. if you dont have the spotlight cutouts its probably unlikely that the wire is there and the lights themselves can sometimes be fiddely to get in right. the seats could be swapped if the seatbelt stalkes were swapped with them i suppose and you'd be best off swapping the steering wheel with one thats the same if you dont have driver airbag
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Well I think I am going to keep a few of the bits, e.g. starter mota, alternator, brake bits depends really. The rest I am going to flog for silly money (see my ad in For sale section) if I can recoup some of the cost for the car it would be a bonus.
I will now check out the rear doors, worthwhile going through the motions getting the door panels off to assess the situation. Well I know the hydraulic bits are in v.good nick but I had mine serviced about 18 months ago and all is well (i know you should never say that!!!) so Don't seem much point in keeping the spheres and alike. Is there an easy way to check the condition of the spheres?
I think I will leave the air bag steering wheel where it is. Anyone want one?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adzbaby</i>
[Is there an easy way to check the condition of the spheres?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You may get lucky and find a manufacture date stamped on them. If it's more than three years old, they'll be well on the way to being flat.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Ah right will have a look! More thAn likely they will be flat!