Xantia diesel filter housing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stewart_c
My Cars:

Xantia diesel filter housing

Post by stewart_c »

HI All
I have been up the pole & back down again trying to find an air leak.I have put in clear tubing to help try and locate the problem & my latest suspision falls on the diesel fuel filter housing.
There appears to be a valve or tap just next to the inlet pipe,& I filled this with silicone grease,but unfortunately the lower half of the circle enclosing the "tap" must have been seeping as the silicone was forming a tear,& in time fuel drips but not badly.
My Question to the knowlegeable amongst you is, is the "tap" actualy a tap, do I need it (could I fill it with a sealing compound )or can anyone supply a No for a new housing at G.S.F. as I have tried various descriptions & come up blank.[V][:(!]
stewar_c
[:(!]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Stewart, the 'tap' enables you to drain any water from the base of the filter, whether you want to keep it is really your choice in this instance. I have only used the one on mine at filter changes. You can guarantee that Sod will take charge if you seal it up! However it would prove to you if this is the source of the leak.
I can only suggest you contact breakers for a replacement or pay for a new one otherwise. Not a really helpful reply I am afraid.
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

Quite the opposite Robin I did not even know it was there until today and I have had the car 4 years, but I always just drained the diesel out of the housing & took the filter out,& primed it again.
stewart-c
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Next to the inlet pipe should be a valve, not sure the purpose. I don't think you mean the draining "tap" in front of the housing. When you fill the valve with silicone grease, I presume you filled the outside of the valve which looks like a cross or x surrounded by a ring. Mine leaked too from there when I took out the whole housing and cleaned it. Cleaned the valve from the inside, maybe a mistake as it leaked afterwards. My suggestion is to clean off the grease and leaking diesel, get high temperature black silicone sealant and stuff into the outside of the valve, covering as much as you can. Let it cure for at least a few hours before driving. Alternatively, take out the whole housing, apply sealant to the bottom of the housing and outside of the valve. The bottom of the housing is prone to warping and allowing air in. Try it out, you may save your old housing yet.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Why not attach some tubing to the drain valve and then bung up the end of that. This way the valve will still usable but the air leak if coming from the valve will cured.