ZX brake upgade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX brake upgade

Post by Dave1 »

Thought about this for a while after getting tired of replacing discs before pads wear out. Had green stuff pads since last summer but discs started juddering and wearing as usual. Saw a recent thread about upgrade and decided to get on with it.
I can now give you the facts.
I got the Berlingo calipers, Lucas as it happens.
Got new discs and new pads.
Fitted them in a short time. Put the offside wheel on, great apart from fact I had to reposition the lead weights a little as they caught. Getting new tires soon anyway so will balance properly then.
Nearside wheel , would not turn! This was a new wheel bought about 2 years back. There is a slight difference around the slots inside with extra thickness. This wheel has Made in Italy on it and also the word speedline. The others are made in Spain. I simply used a rear wheel so OK as it happens. It would be possible to grind the wheel internally wihout any evidence if you want to. I would say 2mm at least would be needed and would have no adverse effect.
I have read there may be a possible problem with master cylinder but I have the Volcane td and it seems fine, likely to improve as they bed in.
Thought it may be helpful to know of the wheel problem in case all your wheels are Italian!
As for "Green Stuff" pads, I bought them to eradicate the dust, they do not entirely and I would say Mintex seem to be just as good. Ferodo prems were awful, just put Lockeed in, been a few miles and there is a slight build up already. Would have bought Mintex if I could have found them. Didn't fancy shelling out a lot on Green Stuff" in case things did not work out but may on renewal or sooner if I get fed up of cleaning.
Dave
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Hmmm
Picked up calipers discs and pads. Tried to fit last night but something not right. Unable to fasten caliper in place with larger disk on. Holes do not line up - est 15mm too far out. When put old disk on can put calipers in position. Discs are 266 as per berlingo, calipers (Atte) looked like Berlingo(one being broken as i picked these up), but may be different (as it transpires). Surely I don't need the bracket from the end of the strutt as well ?
Me thinks I have been given 306 calipers....Curses
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yep
The calipers you need are the Girling ones from a Berlingo/Partner, complete with the frames, these bolt straight up to the ZX hub. Sounds like you've got the wrong ones.
The Berlingo had these calipers upto RP9127 (November 2001) after that they went over to a Bosch caliper, I don't know if the later ones fit. The Girling ones worked fine for me using Berlingo brakes hoses as the Zx ones were too short.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Have to pop back then and see if the others still there on the Berlingo - it is a passenger version as opposed to actual van, but afaiu they are the same
Just rang and it still there and they are bosch, so hopefully...
Got new hoses and green stuff pads, all ready to go....nothing ever simple :-)