Help removing airbag/steering wheel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Help removing airbag/steering wheel

Post by D.Slatford »

I'd like to remove the instrument panel of my xantia in order to do something about the rattling glass which is driving me round the bend, which obviously requires the steering wheel to be removed, which requires the airbag to be removed... which requires the two screws behind the wheel securing the airbag to be removed first, wherein lies my problem.
I don't know what screws these are, obviously I can't get my head round to see and nor do I have a mirror. Are they philips or torx screws or what, and what size? The stupid Haynes manual isn't giving anything away. Hoping I haven't burred them up whatever they are already...
--
dan
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Thanks.
I actually found a shard of broken mirror just after posting (typical!) and used that to find out what screw it was. Removing, or more to the point replacing and driving away afterwards the airbag is *scary*! Damn things terrify me. It's also 8 years old now, does the pyrotechnic stuff ever have to be replaced due to age?
Anyway, I achived my goal, and cured the loud persistant springy-rattle from the instrument panel. If anyone wants to make a note, the cause wasn't the 'glass' but the speedometer guage behind it. Lightly tapping it resulted in the same springy noise at about the same frequency (while tapping the identical looking rev counter didn't make any sound). The cure - lined the bottom with a tiny strip of very thin light foam I had laying around, probably some anti-static packaging. Add a couple more little squares around the edge of the gauge and sandwich the foam with the front of the panel. Foam hidden from view, and no sound from it whatsoever now.
Only 2 or 3 more annoying sounds to fix now in my quest for a quiet drive, the rear drivers side door is making plasticy noises driving along, I think it's not shutting as tight as it could do, hence a little play in the rubber seals, I assume moving the lock thing on the body a fraction inwards should make it shut tighter. There's a ticking sort of rattle from the sunroof motor area, and the sunroof makes a fluttering sound as it vibrates. Except now it's started raining.. grr
--
dan