ZX discs and Seized suspension - help!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

liamyoung2k

ZX discs and Seized suspension - help!!!

Post by liamyoung2k »

Hi!!!
Just got my mum's ZX Volcane back from it's mot - only one problem with it which isnt too bad - prob is, it's pretty major!!!
Rear suspension arm is seized up!!! it like driving a gokart (or a nova!).
Does anyone have any quick fix solutions to this to get it through its re-test or is it as serious as it sounds? and am i going to need to taker her car to bits!!
Just thought i'd ask and see if anyone had any experience with the problem before i begin dismateling everything!!
Thanks
Liam
NB - Does the zx volcane share the same front discs as any other car - peugout for example???
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

No chance of an over the week end soak in plus gas or WD40 then before it comes apart?
liamyoung2k

Post by liamyoung2k »

lol - tell me more about soaking in wd40 - what exactly do i need to soak!
I concider myself as being very car literate and i can easyily do comlex things with cars, (changed many engines b4 etc) but unfortunately these have all been nova ( :( ) related!!!. . i have never played with the rear suspension on any car b4 but im sure i can pick it up!!! - let me know what i need to play with!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

When you say "suspension arm seized" do you mean the shocker or the actual trailing arm that carries the hud assembley? If it's the shocker then just give it a soak as per replyor replace. If the rear arm is siezed I'm stumped. Never hered of this before. The traling arm is held in a couple of bearings, the torsion bar it sits in has all sorts of stuff going on and it's quite a job to take apart and replace. May be worth taking off the wheel, the shocker and see if you can get to move the arm again use some form of spray oil/ lubricant.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

The bearings will be siezed in the crossmember. From recent experience garages prefer you to get hold of another frame from a breaker as it is easier for them to swap over rather than strip yours down. However, once off, they are not that hard to strip down at all. It is just getting it off and having the time to do it. Personally, I obtained a reconditioned one which had new bearings. One from a breakers may also be dammaged or not last long. You do not know until it is on and it is too late by then. I have stripped my old one down and when you see how they work there is not much to it.
The company below supply reconditioned frames and I understand they are very good. Just be sure that you get the correct subframe for the Volcane because they have larger torsion bars and a larger anti roll bar.
www.sspengineering.co.uk
Good Luck
Dave