Xantia brakes problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Szegedi
My Cars:

Xantia brakes problem

Post by Szegedi »

I have recently purchased old (1994) Xantia 1.9 TD. Since ABS was not working the previous owner assured me that the problem is with front right wheel sensor (lamp goes on and off in accordance with information I could find on the Net). As he is a licenced Citroen mechanic I have made a deal that he is to get a new sensor and install it, and only if the system is working properly I am to pay him the rest of the money.
However my problem is that this is my first Citroen, and brakes are behaveing strange indeed. Sometimes, when I press hard on the pedal, the brakes stay on, even when I lift my foot. It lasts for a few seconds and then everything is back to normal. I do hope that it has to do something with ABS not working, but I would like to hear from you. I have installed new front brake pads hoping the problem will go away but no succsess. Other than that hydraulics is working properly (I think). The car doesn't sink etc. And yes, maybe a clue, I think that the infamous clicking noise is appearing in much to often intervals (5 to 10 sec).
Previos owner called me to get a car to him Monday for a sensor installment so I would appriciate some quick answers.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Seized sliding caliper?
My BX did this for a while after standing for over 6 years!!
Did he relace the brake pads & not wind the piston back in enough??
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I agree with Rob sounds like a sticky caliper.Get the caliper off. Try pushing the brake pedal down a little so as to push the piston out a little. Push back and try again 3 or 4 times. This should free up a stuck or sticking caliper. [:D]
Szegedi
My Cars:

Post by Szegedi »

Thanks for your thoughts. The problem existed before changing brake pads. The car was parked for two months before I bought it so it might be the reason. However what realy worries me is that the problem appears even at slow speed if I forget myself and press the brake pedal to much. Last time car stopped without my pressing the pedal. If it was ordinary car I would locate the problem at central braking piston and change it but as I understand there is no such thing in Xantia?
Szegedi
My Cars:

Post by Szegedi »

Stupid me! I am new Cit driver so that could explain why I could not see it right away. The culprit was the sliding carpet which would slide forward and press the pedal on heavy braking. Hope that this will help someone.