Xantia estate - good deal?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daniel B
My Cars:

Xantia estate - good deal?

Post by Daniel B »

What's the general opinion of the 2.0 Petrol trubo, as opposed to the 2.0 110bhp HDi?
1999 V Reg CITROEN Xantia 2.0i Turbo Exclusive
5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 76,000 miles, Metallic Green. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, CD, Central locking, Child locks, Colour coding - Body, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Heated seats, Leather seats, Leather upholstery, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Multi function steering wheel, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Radio, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Self levelling suspension, Sports seats, Tinted glass. £3,250.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The big problem you will have is in finding 'pattern' parts to fit things like the exhaust and engine parts such as the coil for instance which are unique to this low volume car.
I had a 98 MK1 VSX 2.0 turbo, nice enough car but when it came to replacing the cat I found that despite several manufaturers saying that they produced the relevant one, none of them fitted requiring an original Citroen part at over £300 just for the cat.
The big difference will be in insurance and fuel consumption, petrol 28, HDI almost 50mpg. Performance wise petrol obviously quicker.
Needless to say you may well get a good deal when you buy the Petrol turbo but just wait until you try to sell it, link the following words to a buyer, Citroen, Turbo Petrol Engine, Hydractive suspension, High Insurance Group.
Having now owned two turbo diesel Xantias and the above petrol turbo, personally I find that a diesel engine suits the Xantia more. I only kept the petrol turbo for a couple of months before I changed to the Berlingo listed below, definately HDI for me.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks for that reply Richard - hadn't thought about the availability of parts, but twice the fuel economy is a strong selling point for the HDi.
Do you happen to know if you can get leather in the HDi's?
Dan
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Yes, the trim level is basically the same according to SX, Exclusive, etc. The only difference I think between the HDI and 2.0 Turbo will be a different style of alloy wheel and the tyre size.
On Mk1 versions the Turbo also had a more pronounced grille below the bumper and wider front wings to accomodate the wider wheels.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I have now driven the turbo model a couple of times, and thrashing the petrol gets very tedious very quick, HDI anyday!!!!