xsara radiator probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

xsara radiator probs

Post by ralph »

I've got compatibility problems with a bottom hose and new radiator.
While replacing my worn out radiator on my Xsara TD (XUD 9 TE engine), I stupidly sliced off the bottom hose because I couldn't get it apart from the radiator stub.
Off I went to Citroen parts where I was told the hose (which is huge and connects to the back of the block and the expansion tank) is a special order item and will cost £70.
Now I'm worried the hose won't be compatible with the GSF replacement radiator I've bought.
There appears to be three types of bottom hose stub on these radiators: traditional (using a jubilee clip) a plastic locking clip, and a spring clip.
The old Valeo radiator was a spring clip with the hose fitting inside the stub into a metal sleeve. The replacement Ordonez radiator's stub has no metal sleeve.
I think I'm looking at having to also buy a radiator from Citroen for - wait for it - £200.
Any ideas how I can avoid this???
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

Have you asked GSF to quote you for a compatible hose for the radiator you've bought off 'em?
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

The 'push to fit' hose to rad fittings are a nightmare. When I did my rad I cut through the bottom corner of the rad to remove it and then delt with the corroded bottom hose connector. In the end I had to cut the plastic housing away from the hose to free it. The latter type 'push to fit' hoses come with the metal ends already fitted and simply push into the socket in the rad. It's a good system when the metal is clean and you get an easy and trouble free union. Unfortunaterly the bottom hose rusts and locks itself in. Always scrape the rust off the bottom hose connector so that it is clean or it will not clip into the rad properly.
If you cannot source a new bottom hose, is there any chance of salvaging the connector (cleaning it up) and mend the cut with some pipe and a couple of jubilee clips? Anternativly, replace the bottom hose with an earlier jubilee clip type - as I believe "np" has.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Thanks for the replies. I've got a new hose on order (the actual price turned out to be £30+vat).
Hopefully it will come with a metal end, Dave, which will slot nicely into the GSF rad, which has no evidence of a metal end.
Despite desperately needing the car I'm too tight-fisted to cave in and pay the £176.98 +VAT for a Citroen rad just yet. I was told I'd have to pay up front and they wouldn't take it back if it turned out to look exactly like my GSF version.
Brian - I didn't even ask GSF for a hose, they've never been able to supply anything like that in the past for my 205. By the way, the 205 has basically the same hose set-up, but it's in 3 parts, not one, and uses nice, simple jubilee clips. There's progress for you eh?
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Got the new bottom hose, but the metal end does not fit the GSF rad. The hose's metal end has three raised notches, the rad wants one groove. Must be a ploy by Citroen to stop DIYers mixing and matching.
So GSF rad has to go back and I've sourced a Valeo rad replacement from another motor factor.
Bad news is I've been forced to hire a car while I wait for the next rad to come.
Good news is it's a Xantia estate - I've never had a magic carpet ride before - so I'm trying to see if I can make the beast lean when hammering around roundabouts.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

If it is of any interest (and not too late), the later type 'push to fit' rads for the 1.9TD are the same as the 2.1TD rads for the Xantia. I had the same problem when sourcing my new one. In the end I went to a local rad firm to save myself £20 but had to reject a 1.9TD rad before the bloke checked his catalogues (three times) to find I needed a 2.1TD rad; he didn't even have a clue that the rads were different in the later Xantias! Fortunately the rad was still on the car at the time so I was able to do a comparison at the shop.
The GSF web listings for the Xantia (N17370) confirms the later Xantias have the 2.1TD rad but the Xsara gives a different number (N17389D); the e-c-p web site says the Xsara rad is shared with the Pug 306 if its any help.
The 'push to fit' fittings on the hose are as you say Ralph, three raised notches. These fit into the rad which has three suitable cutouts and the two are held together by an open ended triangular spring clip that fits into a groove around the rad outlet and clips behind the raised notches.