bumpy ride

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shiney

bumpy ride

Post by shiney »

Hi
The ride has become very bumpy getting jolted even over minor road bumps.
The fluid reservoir level is OK and tyres at correct pressure.. any other things that could be causing this?
Thanks
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

It always helps to know what car you're referring to. If it's a Xantia with non-hydractive suspension, I'd recommend doing the bounce test on each corner of the car while it's running and in normal height. Push down hard on each corner and make sure it moves down appreciably and feels soft. My money would be on at least one corner being pretty solid due to a flat sphere. If that's the case, you can buy spheres from this forum's main website.
A few months ago my parent's Xantia had same problem. Both rear spheres needed replacing. Took me 30 minutes to do with a homemade sphere removal tool. Lately the car became bumpy again and I was picked up in it. While driving back, I was sat in the passenger seat and I reckoned it felt like the front-left sphere was the trouble. I turned out to be right and replaced both front spheres after the bounce test showed the front-left wing wasn't moving at all - it was rock-solid. It's a good idea to replace both spheres at the same end of the vehicle even if only one is knackered.
Remember to pop back and let us know how it's going...
shiney

Post by shiney »

Thanks i'll try that
BTW its's a T reg Xantia TD sensation hatchback
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

See here for beginners guide to checking suspension and changing spheres:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=8549