Xsara VTS - Dry clutch cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeFrog
My Cars:

Xsara VTS - Dry clutch cable

Post by LeFrog »

You need a left leg like Arnie to operate my clutch. Citroen tells me that it's dried up. Apparantely, RHD models have the cable routed via the exhaust. The heat eventually dries it up and affects its operation.
I've been assured that it is the cable and not the clutch pressure plate. My questions?
1. Has anybody else had this problem?
2. Can the self-adjusting cable be 'reconditioned' by the home DIYer.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Not quite the same but ive had this in my ZX which also and along with the 306 routes it via the exhaust. Something only citroen/peugeot would be capable of. Problem I got is that it eventually got so stiff that it was too much for the plastic(!) clip on the pedal end of the cable and it came out whilst in stationary traffic outside lane of the m25!!
Not sure if the xsara also has a plastic clip but possibly as the xantia does. Doubt theres much you can do with the cable, possibly get some oil down it etc but only if it was out of the car and as its quite fiddly and a new cables only about £16 I would just replace it. Maybe an idea to wrap some of the exhaust heat shield wrap stuff around it which you can probably get from Halfords
Dont know if it could be the pressure plate but if you can swap the cable yourself, would be worth doing for under £20 before getting someone to take the clutch out
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Got the 98 reg VTR 1.6 my self in emerald green. Occassionaly the clutch goes quite stiff. Have pushed the red nozzel of WD40 up the clutch end of the cable and it seems alot easier now.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I recently replaced the throttle cable on pur ZX 1.9 D which was suffering from throttle sticking full open. On taking the inner cable out I found the remains of some lubricant which appeared as white granules. The new cable which came as a kit came with a small capsule of oil!
It seems that some lubricant used goes dry and causes probles - so WD40 may revive it.
Jeremy
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Out came the WD40. I could only get it into the spring area in the middle of the cable as I couldn't be bother to take the air filter casing out. What a difference! It's not perfect, but does now present a dilema as to whether to spend 40 quid + labour to get a new one.
I heard a rumour that the self-adjusting aspect (intrigued as to how it works)of the cable can cause the clutch to wear early if it's not functioning properly. Should I worry?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Totally off topic but a friend of mine is going to move back to new zealand where he was born. He said in the old days everyone got free insurance from the government but maybe only 3rd party. Is this still true? What are your fuel prices like etc. Were citroens sold there or did you have to import it? Theres a few people on a mailing list im on that moved out there and to Aus and shipped their citroens out
regards
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My brother moved out there last week, will ask him how it is now (apart from cold and wet!) just like home, or why not contact Scott from NZ he posts on this forum .
Stewart
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Middle of winter, so yes, cold and wet.
Citroen and Peugeot have been here for some time. Peuegot is more popular and is advertised more. They are often used as prizes in competitions. Both brands carry all models available in the UK, but often, the range is limited. e.g., you may have three C5 configurations to choose from (Diesel, V6 or Estate).
Petrol is cheap compared to UK, although has shot up recently. Roughly $1.20 for 91 and $1.25 for 95.
The main gripe I have with eurpoean cars here is acces to and the prices of parts. You are nearly always forced to go to get your parts from Citroen dealers and prices are set - high! I often hear reference to GSF as a source of parts - don't have that sort of thing here. Even our Halfords's euqivalent is relatively naff.
No such thing as free insurance, although it is probably a third-half of the price you pay.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ah good I can correct him on the insurance, will stop him being so smug :)
can GSF post internationally? probably cost a lot so not worth it for a cable etc heh
91 octane? so low!, bad enough using 95 here, i run 98 with octane booster in the visa but then its a competition car so perhaps not really needed on the road.
to try and annoy my friend more, he reckons its easy to get impreza turbos etc straight from japan for about £4000 whereas over here an equivelent one would cost £8000 approximately. I doubt that.
Do you get all the cheap v8 pick up trucks or yutes as the aussies call them?
xsaraboy
My Cars:

Post by xsaraboy »

i did used to get a clicking noise on the cluch pedal on my 02 reg xsara vtr it has been in citroen they cannot find a problem