TU engine sensor in timing hole?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davejevons

TU engine sensor in timing hole?

Post by davejevons »

Having replaced the the tming belt tensioner on my ax which broke, I need to reset the timing.
I've managed to set both cam and crank shafts at tdc and fit the belt but it's not running right. It's either got damaged valves, the timing's not set right or something else.
To get access to the flywheel timing hole we had to remove a sensor which wasn't attached to anything - anyone know what this does? It's on the front of the engine block and has one connector on the end.
The engine is the 1.4 TU engine with sinle point injection.
thanks
dave.
davejevons

Post by davejevons »

to answer my own question, it's the TDC sensor but on KDY engines it is for diagnotic purposes only, according to Haynes.
Still no idea why it's not running right though.
dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yup - the TDC diagnostic sensor.
I have yet to see a modern engine springing into life happy and well running - after a timing belt snap [:(]
- mind you : the valves will hit the piston tops, and then the valves bends, never seating again.
Years ago - back in the '70-es and before, we had engine types which could in fact survive a broken timing chain, because of the space left between piston TDC and the open valves.
Your cheapest option is a complete 1.4 (or 1.0 / 1.1) TU engine from ebay. They are used on all (post '88) small Peug & Citroen models same year model range as yours.
I'd say a BX14 engine should be easy to find.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

even cheaper is a second hand head if the valve are bent