Xantia indicator problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nik
My Cars:

Xantia indicator problem

Post by nik »

Great forum - really useful to help get my Xantia running properly!
Hopefully a quick question. My indicators have stopped working - no lights on dash or outside, no ticking noise, no nothing. I think it is the relay that is the problem (it would tick randomly sometimes) but I have no idea where the relay is! Haynes doesn't help. Can anyone tell me which of the many relays I can find is the right one? Or how to spot a relay that has gone wrong?
Thanks a lot.
Nik.
1996 Xantia 1.9TD SX
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Do the hazards work?
citrofia
My Cars:

Post by citrofia »

Usually the indicator switch is at fault on Xantias. Before stopping completely the switch often causes the relay to "buzz" of click randomly when the stalk is moved slightly off centre, or when returning to the centre position.
Hazard switches can cause problems too - dirty termials in the switch are usually the culprit.
nik
My Cars:

Post by nik »

Yes the hazards do work & yes I have the intemittent buzzing caused by the stalk
cassop
My Cars:

Post by cassop »

Hi Nik i have the same problem with my wifes xsara HDI 2.0 (03 year)The right-hand-side indicators will some times not work when pushing the stork up, and yester day it stopped compleatly so i am going to check it out today.
If i find the cause of the problem i will reply back to you and the site.
I am not looking forward to doing it especially with out a wiring diagram ! so if someone got a diagram it would help
Malcolm electronic technician.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nik</i>

Great forum - really useful to help get my Xantia running properly!
Hopefully a quick question. My indicators have stopped working - no lights on dash or outside, no ticking noise, no nothing. I think it is the relay that is the problem (it would tick randomly sometimes) but I have no idea where the relay is! Haynes doesn't help. Can anyone tell me which of the many relays I can find is the right one? Or how to spot a relay that has gone wrong?
Thanks a lot.
Nik.
1996 Xantia 1.9TD SX
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

My sister bought my 2002 Xsara off me and has recently had problems with the indicators not coming on intermittently. The dealer replaced the column stalk under warranty and its been fine ever since. Apparently you can't buy just the stalks on the new Xsara and have to replace a whole unit which includes both stalks and costs a lot of money.
cassop
My Cars:

Post by cassop »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nik</i>

Yes the hazards do work & yes I have the intemittent buzzing caused by the stalk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Nik Malcolm again i have had a look at my wifes xsara indicators, yes it needs a new full stalk column replacement. Inside the column is a electronic P.C board with surface-mount component on it and found that there is a dry joint on one of the plug sockets that plugs into that board and caurses all sorts of problems if disrupt i.e. light come on, horn sound and front wipers come on.
I guess i better put it in for it service as it is now due and hope its warranty might cover it, as we only bourght it six month ago from Citroen.
Trying to change it my self seems a unwise decison.