new xantia td owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

basil

new xantia td owner

Post by basil »

Have just got a 95 td sx 115k sh upto @75k.
Any tips to help with reliability ?
Slight problem as the car sinks a small amount overnight mostly at the rear,is this important to get fixed asap?
Radio reception is not good fm keeps disapearing mw/lw non-existant have removed aerial and sprayed thread with wd40 ,some improvment but still no mw/lw help[?]
Any recomendations on oil/additives,fuel/injection cleaners,fluids etc
Thanks
________
Vaporizer wholesaler
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I have got exactly the same problem with the radio in my Xantia, the reception seems really poor, luckily my old car (peugeot 406) has got a nice alpine headunit in it so i recon i will transplant it across to the xantia!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Needs a oil/filter at 6k.Air filter,fuel at 36k i think.For the price it costs,i change the oil = filter,air filter,fuel filter,a/c cabin filter every 5-6k.Also the copper sump plug washer.The parts are very cheap at Gsf,i save at least £20 on them compard to H!"£$%ds.Though i use H!"£$%ds own oil,semi synthectic(?)10/40.
I would give it a service,then you know its all ok.I would also get the cam belt changed as a matter of course.If you cant diy,Puegeot are very good.£145 all in(18mths ago)Change the LHM & filters as well.The Haynes manual covers this very well.The ride will be better as well.
Early Xantia`s didn`t have a anti sink valve fitted,so will sink over night/when parked.The manual doesn`t say what year,though i think it was about 1995?
I had the same prob with my stereo,though it was ok after WD40.
If you have any more Q`s or probs,this is the place for them.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Anti-sink was fitted from around June 1994, i.e. late L-reg, but a few of the earlier non anti-sink cars were registered on M plates (possibly old stock?).
The easiest way to tell is if it has an airbag and the Citroen badge is on the grille then it has anti-sink, if it has a two spoke steering wheel, no airbag, and the Citroen badge is on the bonnet, then it won't have anti-sink.
Nick
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Radio recep[tion is often a bad connection at the roof inside the car. Not a nice one to get to but if you have removable panel, houses the plip sensor in mine, you can get a look at least. R
basil

Post by basil »

Hi thanks for the replys.
I have airbag/badges on grill so I think it should have antisink,is it difficult to change it[?]
Have had a look under the removable cover to get to the aerial but the sunroof motor is in the way,ideas please[?]
thanks[:D]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Can't help with the aerial problem. No sunroof in mine.
Re the antisink. First try Citaerobics (up, down, up, down several times) and change the fluid in the suspension. A small amount of rubbish or dirty fluid can cause the antisink valve to leak a little. Robin
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Change the coolant for peice of mind.......But use de-ionised water (available from asda)
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

To improve radio reception swop the short stubby ariel for a longer one from a ZX, as it does make a difference.
basil

Post by basil »

Does my water in diesel light come on for fun or does it actually mean a problem[?].It seems to come on after cornering/braking and go out after stopping.Have used differant filling stations and looked in the fuel filter but could not see any water.Have put in some wynns water remover to see if it makes any differance.Are diesels more prone to water in fuel and what damage might it do[?]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Diesels are dependent upon the health of the injection pump which is constructed using tolerances that make watchmaking look approximate. Water in this causes corrosion. Corrosion causes a great deal of trouble. Drain the filter casing and replace the fuel filter. The cost will repay itself in a couple of tankfuls. Ensure that the top of the filter casing is fitted well and tightly then prime the system before starting the engine. That ought to fix it. The aerial plug may have disconnected itself from the radio. Citroens usually have good radios which is why so many old ones still have the original set fitted.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The Xantia water in fuel light often has a mind of it its own. I have never in the last 120000 miles of Citroen TD ownership found any water in any fuel filters. Best to check occasionally on a new motor, then just ignore the light. Not sure if disonnecting the sensor will put the light out or make it stay on - you could try it - it's in the bottom of the fuel filter housing.
basil

Post by basil »

I think I shall clean my lhm first.Are all lhm fluids the same ,do I need to find a local cit dealer to get hydracleanse(is this its real name/brand?)
Still no luck with radio reception even with long aerial.
________
Motorcycle Tires
Last edited by basil on 09 Mar 2011, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Errr Try german swedish and french!!!!!
Or if they haven't got any in stock ........................ usually have it for the same price.
I haven't tried anything but Total and it seems to keep it colour quite well.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ve used Comma LHM in mine.Topped it up with Total when needed as you can mix the 2 together.I dont know if there all the same as i think you cant mix thenm all.